iPhone 5 moisture issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Avery1, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Avery1 macrumors member

I got some moisture into my phone screen and body as vapor, from having it inside a goretex pocket while doing some strenuous work.

At that time, the screen would illuminate and was visibly usable, but had some vertical light/dark banding. The touch capabilities weren't working, or sporadically -- not well enough to unlock the phone.

The Apple store confirmed moisture inside the phone, not just the screen.

I put it in a sock in a bowl of rice, along with a second container with damp rid, both in an enclosed container, with a heat lamp over the container for a day and a half. I couldn't turn off the phone, due to the touch screen not functioning.

I just removed the phone (whose battery died), charged it, and I can tell the touch screen works... I swipe and I hear it unlock. I can also power down the phone.

Unfortunately, the screen does not illuminate at all.

Has anyone experienced this, and is this likely to be additional moisture issue or more likely hardware damage?

I'd prefer to not fork over an additional $150 to apple, but looks like I may be headed that way.

2. Makaveliarts macrumors 6502

It sounds like un-reversable hardware damage to me.

Next time something happens like this, you should turn the phone off immediately and then do the rice method in a airtight container. Using it in anyway while there is water inside of it etc. will lessen your chances of saving it.

3. Avery1 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. Is there a way to turn off the iPhone without using the touch screen?

4. MJD Dawg macrumors 6502

Junction of the Pacific, Juan de Fuca & NA Plates
    This scenario needn't be an issue for such a high end product if instead of focussing on giving us a new color or making the phone thinner, Jony & Company could somehow give the phone even some rudimentary water/vapor protection.

Just sayin.