iPhone 5 multitasking on Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cyks, Aug 9, 2011.

1. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

2. kolax macrumors G3

Nope. Verizon won't allow multitasking I'm afraid, they like you solely being able to do one task at a time.

3. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Why wouldn't it be able to? The current Verizon iPhone 4 supports multitasking (same as the AT&T model).

4. ~Ks383~ macrumors 6502

This person is being sarcastic FYI. The iPhone is able to perform the same level of multitasking as the iPhone on AT&T minus web/data use while talking on the phone.

5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

As long as one of those tasks isn't a voice call, you can multitask (in the iOS sense of the word).

6. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

Are you talking about voice and data at the same time? Not going to happen. It's a limitation of the CDMA technology.
    Does anyone know if it's possible on LTE?

7. ~Ks383~, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2011

~Ks383~ macrumors 6502

Yes it is.

8. aztooh macrumors 6502a

Also possible when connected to wifi, if I'm not mistaken...?

9. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

Yes.

10. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

No it's not. The handset just requires SVDO support, something the current iPhone lacks.

11. dvoros macrumors 6502

ridiculous

If the new iPhone 5 does not allow voice and data tasking at the same time, then please, please do not put out a new phone. Apple would look stupid in the eyes of its users.:mad:

12. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I believe the OP meant data and voice, not "multitasking", as in multitasking apps.

13. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

you actually can do data and voice at the same time on a verizon iPhone. if you have wifi, i believe they will make this happen on the next iPhone, bc it came out on the thunderbolt with data/Voice, not just on LTE, but on 3G.

14. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Actually, SVDO is something every single handset lacks.

SVDO is/was a mirage courtesy of Qualcomm.

SVDO would increase the weight, battery drain and heat generated, not to mention cost - that's if you can even get it to work. I did see an "RF Desense engineer" position posted at the Apple jobsite, so maybe it's coming - but I tend to doubt it.

15. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

That has nothing to do with Apple or the iPhone, that's all Verizon. CDMA networks cannot transfer data and voice at the same time. One major downfall of Verizon.

16. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

Clearly you've never heard of the HTC Thunderbolt.

17. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Wouldn't Verizon look stupid since they're the ones who don't support it?

18. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

That's not true voice/data, and would be useless if you're actually mobile.

19. kdog005 macrumors member

No because again, the handset has to support SVDO, it has nothing to do with Verizon. Additionally, if the iPhone 5 is LTE, this wouldn't be an issue. Again, comes back to Apple.

And as it has already been stated, if you're on WiFi, it works just fine. And honestly, how many times have you even been in a situation where voice and data were needed at the same time?

20. Interstella5555, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2011

Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Over the 4 yeears of owning iPhones? Hundreds? Thousands? But apparently this only occurs with AT&T iPhone users, as far as I know I've never heard of an Verizon iPhone user who wanted to do so. Now if you want me to count the number of times I've seen verizon user attempt to use voice and data at the same time with disastrous results...number goes way up. I'm also curious about this omnipresent WiFi that you all seem to have; why not just use an iPod Touch and forget about paying a data fee?

I'll just give you two examples:

1. I'm in Seattle shopping with my gf over christmas and we split up. She calls to try and find the name of a book that her father was featured in. I talk to her while searching the internet, adjusting my search as she provides more information. 1 phone call instead of 5.

2. I'm driving back to the airport from the sister's wedding with my other sister and her husband. He's using his Verizon phone for directions on the hour+ drive. We get to the airport and his dad calls, frantic because my brother in law's phone has been busy for the last hour and needed to get in touch with us.

I wonder which carrier I'd rather be with....

21. jtara macrumors 65816

But does the Verizon network support SVDO? The standard was only just approved in 2009, could manufacturers have introduced support and Verizon built their network out since then? (Dunno if this would need new hardware or just firmware updates to cell-tower equipment.)

See here:

http://www.evdoforums.com/thread12522.html

22. jtara macrumors 65816

It most certainly does. It needs to be supported on both ends. Has Verizon rolled this technology out? Will they ever? It really wouldn't make sense to do so at this point, with LTE waiting in the wings.

23. kleinias, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2011

kleinias macrumors regular

The first example is a good one but after having an iPhone 4 with AT&T and then one with Verizon, I would rather have Verizon. I think the point is that if you are in an area where AT&T and Verizon both have excellent coverage, you would consider your aforementioned examples. However, (I travel a lot for work) I found that Verizon's coverage was generally superior to AT&T's (in the places that I frequented). You have to have coverage in the first place in order to use voice and data at the same time and there were just too many times when this wasn't the case for me with AT&T. Now situations vary and it really is up to each individual to figure out what works best for them in their area of home, work & travel.

I must admit that I do not understand your second example. Did this really take place or is this a made-up example? Why didn't his dad just text him? You can still send/receive text messages on a Verizon iPhone while you are on a phone call (with no WiFi). IF the brother in law was using the phone for data, then any calls or texts sent to him would still be received. In this respect, the Verizon phone does not have any limitations that an AT&T phone does not also have (save the one obvious exception).

24. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

The iPhone 5 will not be LTE because the network isn't large enough to merit support. Also, the LTE network drains the battery and Apple won't want that.

Stop trying to blame Apple for lack of a voice/data multitasking on Verizon when it's Verizon's issue. Sheesh.

Also, if you're outside of your house most areas don't have free wifi. Unless your life is filled with sitting in a coffee shop or at home you won't have easy wifi access. And, to answer your question about the usefulness of voice/data at the same time? It's very useful and I use it at least 3-4 times a week. You know how easy it is to call someone to fix an issue and you can just take a photo and send it to them while speaking with them on the phone? It's almost the same as video chat.

I have a friend on VZ and he complains about not being able to receive texts and email when he's on the phone. He's in the real estate business and it's very hard on him because he'll miss tons of texts and emails cause he's on the phone. He's switching to ATT next month once his contract is up.

25. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

The only handset with SVDO support right now is the HTC Thunderbolt. It was released back in March so there's no way of knowing when Verizon actually upgraded their network to support SVDO (whether they decided to upgraded shortly before the Thunderbolt's release or if they upgraded a while ago and were waiting on handsets).