iPhone 5 new design not what's important

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Joeltony, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Joeltony macrumors newbie

I personally don't think these are accurate mockups of next iPhone. Even if they are I'm more concerned about what it can do. If it just has a 4 inch screen,LTE, NFC, or other expected features I will be disappointed. Plus being a grandfathered unlimited data user from At&T I have to really consider leaving if I'm forced into a shared data plan to use LTE phones. I mean I love FaceTime and can't use it unless I get a shared data plan. I should be able to use my data how I want. So for the troubles I cant be happy about what were getting in new IOS, new phone. My hope is that there will be a wow factor, something we didn't see coming, something like a tactile feedback and not just a vibration but a way of being able to distinguish texture and stuff like that. That is just an example I'm not Apple I don't have to figure it out but the phone needs something more. We all feel that and I'm sure apple does too. I hope.

2. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

You're complaining about not being able to do something that you're not able to do now (FaceTime over 3G)... that seems silly.

3. Joeltony thread starter macrumors newbie

When IOS 6 comes out it will be enabled, but because I get unlimited data I won't be able to use it that way. If I could use it over 3G I would of been doing it. When iOS 6 allows it I want to be able to use all the features my phone has. My problem in this regard is more with At&T then apple but if the next phone doesn't wow me I may just keep what I have. So I need a reason to give up my unlimited data.

4. aztooh, Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2012

aztooh macrumors 6502a

For someone who hates the current, brick, design of the iPhone...design is something of importance. I prefer my HAND held device to be more ergonomically friendly. Not looking for change just for the sake of change.

And, not saying you are incorrect, but I haven't heard about the FaceTime deal? I'm also a grandfathered unlimited customer..and that would not be cool.

----------

Why exactly is it silly? For keeping a plan that ATT FORCED us to purchase, we are punished by not being allowed all of the new features? Data used is data used. They already throttle us at over 3GB...what does it matter HOW we use those GB's?

If it's true, it's a completely valid complaint.

EDIT: Read up on it a bit. Post 3 makes it sound like only unlimited users would be shut out...but it's also the tiered plan users. I have absolutely no need or use for a shared data plan. This is one of the most asinine things I've ever heard of from a service provider...and that's saying something.

5. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

What makes you think you'll be forced to a share plan to use LTE? I'm on unlimited and using a SIII.

6. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Let's get real, this is Apple we're discussing.

The company that spends thousands of hours bragging about their designs.

Wins prestigious design contests & has a rock star designer.

The company that has forsaken cool & fast laptops, for hot running ultra-thin supermodels.

Apple _IS_ Design.

First, Foremost, & Always.

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The general consensus is we'll be able to keep our unlimited plan for LTE with AT&T.

8. aztooh macrumors 6502a

If he wants to use facetime over cellular connection w/ATT*, he's forced into a Share Plan.

*Not including JB'ing, obviously.

9. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Well if ur looking for some "wow" feature, the only SLIM chance you have is NFC. And that's very doubtful. Sucks that ur setting urself up for big letdown. Tactile feedback won't even be in the next iPhone, and maybe not even the one after that. The iPhone is the best built phone, iOS is the smoothest, most stable OS, and the app store is by far the best app store. iPhone is right where it needs to be. And each new model will refine those strong points and make them better. What a lot of people fail to realize is that apple already reinvented the mobile phone. They are not going to keep reinventing it for the sake of change. The "wow" days for cell technology is OVER for a while. It will keep getting incrementally better, but in small steps. There will be some "wows" along the way but not game changing changes like in 07. And you can bet your life that Apple isn't going to throw in features like tactile feedback that aren't even fully tested and ready for real world use. Truth is that all those "wow" feature u speak of and desire will probably show up in other android/windows devices long before iPhone adopts them.

Relax and enjoy iPhone for what it is. iPhone 5 is going to be awesome.

10. honeygirl macrumors member

if Apple integrates an advanced voice control system into iOS 5 exclusively for iPhone 5, the company may once again be forcing others to play catch up.

11. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

So don't. Do that many people facetime? I've never seen anyone video chatting on their cell phone on a train.

12. aztooh macrumors 6502a

Did you read his OP? He says he "LOVES" facetime. Doesn't really matter how many people do it...he apparently does so it matters to him.

Lot of people travel a lot and/or are away a lot and it's a nice way to keep in touch with loved ones without having to bust out a computer.

I use Tango, because A. It's always been available to use over 3G and B. It's cross platform. Those 2 things make it infinitely better than FaceTime as it stands now.

13. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I think what is getting everyone down is the lack of that wow factor. We already know about the new maps, the siri improvements, and LTE. And those things are far from "wow" for many users depending on where you live, etc.

Like others, I am banking on a cool "one last thing" to sell me. As the rumors stand right now, I wouldn't buy.

14. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Most hotels have WiFi don't they?

I for one would like better native camera software.

15. aztooh macrumors 6502a

Not all travel situations are created equally. Also, with possible time differences, maybe both parties aren't home/at the hotel at the same time, making it difficult to just say hey, hotels have wifi.

Largely, yes, there's usually wifi available to accomplish a video chat. But that really isn't even the point here. There's no reason that it should be available on some plans and not others.

The FFC needs a massive upgrade. It's pathetic.

16. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

In the past few years, every hotel I have stayed in advertises wifi. In all but one of those situations, the free wifi was not working. You ask the front desk and they tell you it's a problem with the hardware. The other time, the wifi worked great, but it was $18 a night on top of the cost of the room. And I usually stay in pretty nice places.