iPhone 5: "no commitment" phones unlocked from ATT / Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cbw87, Sep 21, 2012.

1. cbw87 macrumors member

I wondered if anyone can tell me whether the GSM sim slot on new ATT or Verizon iPhone 5s is arriving unlocked (or unlocking on iTunes activation)?

From what I can tell, the ATT ones did this last year, and applying the same logic it would kind of make sense for the Verizon ones to do so as well.

The reason I'm interested is I want to use ATT GoPhone in the US but when I return to the UK next year, I'd like to be able to get LTE speeds so need the bands offered by the Verizon model.

2. cbw87 thread starter macrumors member

Apologies for the impatience but somebody must have an answer to this by now...

3. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

was at ATT this morning. They are NOT doing no commitment iphone 5 sales. Subsidized only.

4. cbw87 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. Apple stores are definitely doing no commitment sales.

My main issue is whether I can buy a Verizon "no commitment" device (I need those LTE bands for the UK) but use an ATT sim in that device in the meantime...

I know it seems unlikely, but I'd like a definitive answer.

5. macboots macrumors newbie

it has to be purchased from an apple store... those were the ones that came factory unlocked, on launch day, last year.

6. cbw87 thread starter macrumors member

Anyone with any idea of whether that's also the case this year, particularly for Verizon "no commitment" devices, please speak up!

7. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

So I have an AT&T no-commitment 5 bought from the Apple store this morning. How do I check if it is carrier unlocked?

8. cbw87 thread starter macrumors member

When you plug it in to iTunes to activate it, you should get a "congratulations, your device is unlocked!" message.

9. kramerica2 macrumors regular

Or just put a different sim in there..

Please report back, on the iTunes and/or different sim check...

10. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Hmm, well unfortunately I can't do that as I had already activated on the device itself. It seems the only way to check now is by restoring through iTunes, is that right?

11. cbw87 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah. No problem though, I'm pretty confident the ATT ones are unlocked.

It's the Verizon ones I'm less sure about: particularly as to whether, if unlocked, they allow the use of an AT&T sim (i.e. another competing US carrier sim).

Even if the AT&T ones aren't unlocked they can be unlocked easily on eBay - not the same for Verizon.

12. abuse2u macrumors newbie

so on at&t without contract its unlocked?

someone can verify that (use different company sim)

thanks!!

13. sunboy97 macrumors newbie

Any confirmation that the no-commitment iphone 5 purchased from Apple/ATT store is unlocked?