iPhone 5 - Norfolk, Va

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by chris2398, Sep 16, 2012.

1. chris2398 macrumors newbie

I didn't see it listed yet so here it is. Any tips or ideas about lining up? I called security and they stated that the parking garage is open 24hrs a day but they won't allow anyone to just sit in their car to wait.

What are the details about lining up? Where, when etc?

I have the iPhone 4 and ready for my upgrade :D

2. TheSlimOne macrumors regular

I'm gonna throw you a bone here. I did the launch for the Ip4. I also did the parking garage deal. I know that there was another group that came in from the other end of the mall. Is there are parking lot on the other end maybe?

I think its a coin flip to see which door to wait at as the open on then the other. I was at the other that time (garage) so there were several hundred people already in line when we got in the building.

3. 4esthetix macrumors newbie

What time are you going to line up? I'm not sure how bad the line will be since they did preorders this time, also from multiple vendors.

As for the non-garage entrance, are you referring to the entrance on the CPK side? Are there only two entrances? Thanks!

4. TheSlimOne macrumors regular

I have no idea where the other entrance people line up at. I just went in the garage for the iphone 4. that was 2 years ago.

5. oilytheotter macrumors newbie

I've never done iPhone launch day before. I was planning on getting to the mall around 6 AM, but reading the posts here has me a little concerned. Were there really hundreds of people at the iPhone 4 launch? Between color and storage there are 6 different models and I think the phones are carrier specific, so we are up to 12 or 18 different models. The store probably won't have more than 10 or 20 of each model. I guess the chance of you being near the back of the line and getting what you want are not good.

About the mall. There are two separate garages with their own entrances. One of them has entrances on the 1st and 2nd floor, the other has entrances on all 3 floors. There are also two street level entrances. So that's 7 ways to get into the mall, off the top of my head. It sounds like there is no official line and its just a free-for-all come 8am. It's all going to depend on the order that the doors get unlocked. Can anyone confirm if this is going to be the case? It would be a real shame. Definitely a turn off from going early.

6. TheSlimOne macrumors regular

We got there at about 4am and were about 40 people back on the mall entrance right off the interstate.

I live in Texas now so sorry its a bit vague.

If you remember the Ip4 launch have pre orders for store pick-up and also delivery.

They split it into 2 lines. one for pre-order instore pickup and walkins.

Because of stock worrys they were pulling 25 people out of the pickup line to 1 out of the walkin line. I got my phone at 4pm LOL! But it seemed that everyone got a phone for the most part.

I think it will go much smoother for this launch since everyone "should" be in the same line. I think if your a genuine 'Kool-Aid' drinker you should have this experience at least once.

As for shear numbers, I would say they had over 1000 people in line at some point between the two lines. I would say to get there as early as you can unless you don't have anything to do during the day. Apple walks around with bagels and stuff in the morning and pizza in the afternoon and just makes it an event.