iPhone 5 not staying connected to WiFi when being charged

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Daftbrush, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Daftbrush macrumors newbie

I've noticed that my iPhone 5 doesn't seem to stay connected to the WiFi when it is locked and connected to the mains charger. This means that I'm not getting automatic overnight back ups to iCloud.

Has anyone else had a similar issue?

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

wifi "sleeps" when screen is locked. when you unlock it wakes up, as you may notice by the instant switch from 3G/4G/LTE to the wifi logo.

3. Daftbrush thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response. I always thought that the WiFi stays connected when the phone is being charged. If it's not staying connected then surely this explains the reason why my iCloud backups are not happening?

4. jutte64 macrumors regular

so if it sleeps when the screen is locked, how is it supposed to update to iCloud at night? I am having the same problem...

5. fins831 macrumors 6502a

I always do my iCloud backups manually. I see no reason for automatic backups, there is little difference between my my setup yesterday to today....if I do something big or change stuff, I backup, otherwise, I do it every 10-14 days.

6. jutte64 macrumors regular

Thats fine, however it was desinged to do it by itself every night, and it has done that just fine for me on my iPhone 4 every night like clockwork, and now its just going to stop doing it?

7. Daftbrush thread starter macrumors newbie

Wifi issue Fixed!!!!

I'm pleased to report I've fixed the issue regarding the WiFi dropping off and no iCloud back ups happening.

All I did was to reset the Network settings. This reboots the phone and then you just re enter the wifi password details as normal.

My iCloud backups now work.

Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings

8. jutte64 macrumors regular

Does this keep it connected when its locked too? when i am at work i dont have signal so i rely on the wifi here to at least allow imessage to work and to use my phone with what i can on wifi.

9. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Oh yes, and it's been reported to Apple. I'm sure they'll get around to it as they see fit. Or not.

When it comes to the cloud... Apple can be a bit mystified. :)

10. Daftbrush thread starter macrumors newbie

It's my understanding that it connects to the WFi as and when it's required.