iPhone 5 not staying connected to WiFi when being charged

Daftbrush

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
UK
I've noticed that my iPhone 5 doesn't seem to stay connected to the WiFi when it is locked and connected to the mains charger. This means that I'm not getting automatic overnight back ups to iCloud.

Has anyone else had a similar issue?

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
I've noticed that my iPhone 5 doesn't seem to stay connected to the WiFi when it is locked and connected to the mains charger. This means that I'm not getting automatic overnight back ups to iCloud.

wifi "sleeps" when screen is locked. when you unlock it wakes up, as you may notice by the instant switch from 3G/4G/LTE to the wifi logo.

Daftbrush

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
UK
wifi "sleeps" when screen is locked. when you unlock it wakes up, as you may notice by the instant switch from 3G/4G/LTE to the wifi logo.
Thanks for the response. I always thought that the WiFi stays connected when the phone is being charged. If it's not staying connected then surely this explains the reason why my iCloud backups are not happening?

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
I always do my iCloud backups manually. I see no reason for automatic backups, there is little difference between my my setup yesterday to today....if I do something big or change stuff, I backup, otherwise, I do it every 10-14 days.

jutte64

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2009
Fort Recovery , OH
Thats fine, however it was desinged to do it by itself every night, and it has done that just fine for me on my iPhone 4 every night like clockwork, and now its just going to stop doing it?

Daftbrush

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
UK
Wifi issue Fixed!!!!

Thats fine, however it was desinged to do it by itself every night, and it has done that just fine for me on my iPhone 4 every night like clockwork, and now its just going to stop doing it?
I'm pleased to report I've fixed the issue regarding the WiFi dropping off and no iCloud back ups happening.

All I did was to reset the Network settings. This reboots the phone and then you just re enter the wifi password details as normal.

My iCloud backups now work.

Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings

jutte64

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2009
Fort Recovery , OH
I'm pleased to report I've fixed the issue regarding the WiFi dropping off and no iCloud back ups happening.

All I did was to reset the Network settings. This reboots the phone and then you just re enter the wifi password details as normal.

My iCloud backups now work.

Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings
Does this keep it connected when its locked too? when i am at work i dont have signal so i rely on the wifi here to at least allow imessage to work and to use my phone with what i can on wifi.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA

Oh yes, and it's been reported to Apple. I'm sure they'll get around to it as they see fit. Or not.

When it comes to the cloud... Apple can be a bit mystified. :)