iPhone (5) on Sprint network only?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 960design, Apr 17, 2012.

1. 960design macrumors 68020

I heard this obvious slip at a meeting, yesterday.

The next iPhone will roll out only on the sprint network. They will have a six month ownership that they pretty much bet the company on.

This seems ridiculous to me, can sprint even handle the traffic, do they have the infrastructure.

What have you heard? I have no proof, read no other literature even guessing at this. That's why I'm posting it here. To see how the masses feel and to document this heresy.

Just me.

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

3. Willyb26 macrumors member

Willyb26

4. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

5. wademvp91 macrumors member

No offense man, but this seems entirely false. No way would Apple strip it's users on AT&T and Verizon of the iPhone 5 no matter how much money Sprint offered. Even if they offered them the company, Apple would still lose money on that deal because they'd lose all AT&T and VZW customers.

6. cynics macrumors G4

Yep, no way in the world that's accurate. It doesn't make sense for anybody but sprint and who the hell are they? Lol

7. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

I've heard this one, too. It sounds reasonable given that ATT had exclusive rights for a long time. But who knows.

8. wademvp91 macrumors member

But that was when the iPhone started out. Plus, going from AT&T is a huge loss in just sheer customer base alone. Not to mention Sprint has no LTE.

9. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

Sprint has a type of 4G network, I don't think they call it LTE. :confused:

10. davidra macrumors 6502

From the Sprint website:

4G LTE is coming to Sprint

Sprint 4G LTE is expected mid-year 2012 in Atlanta, Baltimore, Dallas, Houston, Kansas City and San Antonio! Sign up to be notified when 4G LTE is headed to your area.

11. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

It's called WiMax and AT&T and T-Mobile's HSPA+ networks are faster than the turd that is WiMax.

12. davidra macrumors 6502

Read much?

Sprint LTE Rollout

13. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Apple has a $20 billion head start from sprint.

14. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

You beat me to it Davidra! :D

Not that I think such a thing like this rumor is true though. There's no way Sprint has that much money in their coffers. They are going to get the next iPhone anyway, so why $$$$ money out there for just a measly 6 months of exclusivity.

Also, the network IS actually the slowest on the market. Unlimited . . . sure, but I think Sprint's network is slower than dial-up . . . and I am a Sprint zealot.

15. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Sprint, is like, the worst major iPhone carrier in the US.

16. davidra macrumors 6502

That pretty much depends. My wife and I both has 4s's, hers on Verizon and mine on Sprint (since I get it through work). Saving $24 a month isn't bad, but the question is whether or not it's worth the horrifyingly slow speeds. They have improved dramatically in our area recently with tower upgrades. On my way into work today I got a download speed of over 1100 kbps, which is plenty fine for me. And in spite of having faster speeds, my friend's AT&T 4S drops twice as many calls as mine, even when I"m in a much weaker signal area. I've been with Sprint for many years, and their network ain't great....but their customer service has gotten so much better that it's almost unbelievable...and I don't hear that much from AT&T.

17. nitemare macrumors regular

snip
    i've been with AT&T since the first iPhone came out. Unless Sprints Customer Service has improved, it was the reason i left Sprint. got charged for services i never used. they were supossed to put my phone on "military standby" and 3 months into a 9 month deployment they still hadnt done that. came back to an ETF and couldnt get my number back. happened twice. i've never had an issue with AT&T Customer Service.

18. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

Ah, I thought LTE is what Verizon called their 4G network. So far I'm happy with Sprint. Not one dropped call, I get max signal strength out in the country, about 15 miles east of Jacksonville, NC. Granted, their 3G speed is pretty pathetic, I don't really care because I actually get signal in my house.

19. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

There's a word I'm looking for to describe what I'm thinking about this thread:

[​IMG]

Oh, right. Thats it!

20. 960design thread starter macrumors 68020

21. taedouni macrumors 65816

Let us use some reasoning. Sprint is the third largest carrier (Verizon is first with AT&T being second) , why would apple make such a stupid illogical move that would cost them sales? Not to mention that sprint doesn't even have an LTE network up and running now. Before people post pointless threads, I think that they need to take a minute to think about what they are about to post.

22. labman macrumors 604

labman

I'll take the bet! ;)

23. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Omg I just got good info that this thread is crap:D