iphone 5 on Straight talk

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by travis64, Sep 13, 2012.

1. travis64 macrumors 6502a

travis64

any news on when they will release the sim for the new iPhone?

i really want it but not worth losing st and paying double every month...hope we dont have to wait long

2. rnbgrilla macrumors member

feels like where going to have a long wait.
    & iOS 6 Blocks APN edit, so no way of getting MMS to work with t-mobile sim swap trick ugh.
    hoping they let us edit APN again.

3. Surrylic macrumors regular

This is distressing. Blocks APN edit? Sigh...

4. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I figured this would be the case. I have really been enjoying ST, but then again I'm tempted by the iPhone 5 (I just don't want to be locked into another contract situation). I'll probably just hold on to my 4S for now until I see that ST will support the iPhone 5.

5. travis64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

travis64

whatttttt?
    so people with ST cant upgrade to ios6?if you cant do the apn then you wont get internet and text right???
    o man please tell me this is not true...idc about mms i never got that to work anyway

6. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I think he's referring to the iPhone 5 and iOS 6. I'm pretty sure those of us using the 4/4S that upgrade to iOS 6 on ST will be fine.

7. travis64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

travis64

i hope so

anyone know anything about ios6 not working with straight talk?

8. mrtune macrumors 6502a

I heard straight talk doesn't have LTE at all.

That's a pretty big feature to miss out on.

9. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

Its a cost benefit analysis. For some having a much lower bill and no contract is worth not having premium data access.

10. madsci954 macrumors 68030

I contacted them a week or two ago about if or when they are getting nano sims. They don't have any information yet.

11. cbutters macrumors member

Are you sure about this? i have a 4S on iOS6 GM (developer) and I can edit APN just fine... (on t-mobile currently) It has changed location in the setting screen, but the ability has not been removed as far as I can tell.

12. Tig Bitties macrumors 68030

Tig Bitties

Does the iPhone5 have HSPA+ which is 3G+ and not quite full 4G/LTE.

That would work on Straight Talk, but if it's 3G & LTE only on the iPhone5, then Straight Talk will only use 3G ? No HSPA+

13. rnbgrilla macrumors member

I'm 100% sure I also have iPhone 4S iOS 6GM & Yes Since Beta 4 They Block The Edit APN, when I was on beta 3 my iPhone work fine data MMS.

I have a factory unlock iPhone from apple. And if you pop in the ST sim, only talk & text work, so I did the sim swop with tmobile sim that gave me the option to edit my APN & have hotspot. But as of now there is no way to edit it, so I have to you that APN website (http://unlockit.co.nz/) just to get the data to work. Point is now I don't have MMS.

----------

U can update, just that you lose the option to edit the APN in the phone.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, the i5 includes HSPA+

15. mrbrown macrumors 6502a

iOS 6 works fine with straight talk and functions the same way it did in iOS 5: that is, the phone recognizes the SIM as an AT&T SIM card and will not permit APN editing, as it will use the AT&T carrier bundle. It has ALWAYS been this way, even on unlocked devices.

Of course, the APN can be changed through a mobileconfig profile, which has not been phased out in iOS 6 or on the iPhone 5... The only settings that can't be changed through a mobileconfig profile are the MMS settings.

16. cameronjpu macrumors 65816

Is it safe to say that an iPhone on Straight Talk works EXACTLY as if it was on ATT except for MMS (which I don't care about at all)?

17. mrbrown macrumors 6502a

Yes. You just need to install an appropriate mobileconfig profile either by creating one with the iOS Configurator or by going to unlockit.co.nz and downloading an appropriate one.

Obviously, Visual Voicemail doesn't work (no backend to support it). Everything else functions as if the phone was on AT&T. Also - FaceTime over cellular works (unlike AT&T sans mobile share plan)!

18. cameronjpu macrumors 65816

Be careful what you call "obvious" - I had no idea about that and no reason to wonder. So what do people do to replace it? I'm definitely not going back to calling into my voicemail...

19. mrbrown macrumors 6502a

It's obvious to me because it's an unsupported carrier (even though ST uses AT&T's network).

But anyways, I've used Google Voice to replace visual voicemail. Works just as well, if not better, than Apple's implementation.

20. Surrylic macrumors regular

I use YouMail, which works great and has some really cool features. I'll miss having my voicemail actually inside the phone app though. On the upside, I believe if you jailbreak the phone you can replace Apple's VVM with YouMail inside the app.

Since Android doesn't have a decent VVM system I've been using youmail since I switched from iOS, and so then when I changed to StraightTalk from AT&T there was nothing to miss out on (because nothing changed in my day to day use). Now that I'm going back that's a bit of a bummer though.

Read up on YouMail, when people calling get sent to voicemail it greets them by name if you want. Or can send anyone calling a text to let them know you're busy and when you'll be available to call back or whatever you want the text to say. All free.

21. standard2020 macrumors newbie

iPhone 5 works fine with Straight Talk

I just got my iPhone 5 (AT&T version) unlocked from the Apple Store paying the full price.

I have cutted the Straight Talk Micro SIM following the great instructions from Christian von der Ropp published here: http://www.iclarified.com/24489/printable-nanosim-and-microsim-cutting-guide-download.

I used sharp scissors (Fiskars from Office Depot) to cut the micro SIM to the new nano SIM format.

The thickness of the original Straight Talk SIM is perfect for the new iPhone 5, as it comes inside the drawer of the iPhone 5 without any kind of extra mod. Just cutting to the new shape.

I backup-ed the iPhone 4S using iCloud and then restored to the iPhone 5. It kept the data settings (APN, proxy, etc) previously downloaded from the iPhone 4S from http://www.unlockit.co.nz. For Straight Talk to work, in the unlockit web site you have to choose ATT Virtual with Proxy.

Facetime over cellular works great.

22. justinjas macrumors newbie

Glad to hear it didn't require sanding down the back as I had read it would. I ordered an iPhone 5 with the same plan of using it on Straight Talk.

You didn't mention it so I'm assuming it doesn't work, but any word on if LTE works over Straight Talk.

23. RNVarma macrumors regular

I would also like to know if LTE worked, too.

24. Dechter macrumors member

25. iNando macrumors newbie

iPhone 5 on Straight Talk

Will LTE Network worked on the iPhone 5 using straight talk??