iPhone 5 on T-Mobile

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Minhimalism, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

Does anyone know if we'll finally be able to use 3G/4G with the iPhone 5 on T-Mobile? Can't justify the price if I'm going to be stuck with edge again..

2. pakman85 macrumors newbie

3. ar93 macrumors member

so youre saying that i can ditch tmobile edge and get 4g lte from metro pcs with my iphone 5?

4. articulatefool macrumors regular

MetroPCS has a limited time offer to get truly unlimited LTE for $55 per month (normally $70).

This interests me as well if it is possible to flash an iPhone 5 over to MetroPCS.

I have a Verizon model that I am paying the ETF on in 1.5 weeks. Would love to be able to flash it to Metro PCS while I await T-mobile's 4g refarm.

EDIT: Crap, it looks like MetroPCS utilizes AWS LTE (the AT&T phone would work for this)

5. cutienoua macrumors member

“MetroPCS today confirmed that it is in discussions with Deutsche Telekom regarding an agreement to combine T-Mobile USA and MetroPCS

6. whoknows87 macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

the previous iPhone( so did the EVO) worked under metroPCS just the CDMA version ( Sprint and Verizon) but the speed wasn't that great, so I assume this Model LTE should work under metropCS if anything the sprint and verizon not sure about at&t Model, because metropcs is strictly CDMA, another thing that just came to mind all of metroPCS 4G LTE Phones come with a 4G LTE Card that includes an ICCID code that matches that specific phone/model/serial number, so not sure how this going to work out...

7. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

3G/4G will only work on T-Mobile with the iPhone if you are in one of the areas where they have already refarmed the network to support the iPhone. The refarming will be done by the end of this year but for now only certain areas can get 3G/4G on the iPhone.

Unofficial map here: http://airportal.de

Next year when T-Mobile begins building its LTE network, the LTE will be compatible with the AT&T version of the iPhone 5.

So if you want an iPhone 5 on T-Mobile then your best bet is to buy the AT&T model and pay one of the eBay sellers to unlock it for like $10.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Unbelievable.
    Buy an iphone 5 and then try to use it on MetroPCS?
    That's like buying a ferrari and using 87 octane gas and driving with no insurance to save money.

9. ar93 macrumors member

yea seems i got lucky i got the att iphone 5.:rolleyes:

10. atomic50 macrumors member

I hope the MetroPCS merger goes through! Sounds like it would mean T-mobile will have LTE on band 2 1900MHz and band 4 AWS (1700/2100). Combine that with 42Mbps DC-HSPA on 1900 MHz and the At&t unlocked iPhone 5 should pair perfectly!

11. ar93 macrumors member

ok so if tmobile and metropcs do merge and im in metropcs 4g lte coverage area am i going to get 4g lte? right now i have the tmobile $50 monthly unllimited plan. :confused:

12. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

I honestly don't understand why people pay so much for unlocked iPhones and then neuter them by using them on TMobile. Sure, they're getting 1900mhz 3G, but that takes time. TMo iPhone users are JUST getting 3G while everyone else is sailing with LTE speeds.

----------

Technically speaking, yes, but you would need a new phone (obviously)

13. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

No you have to wait til T-Mobiles network gets updated to your area which they say will be nationwide by the end of the year. Im thinking that will go thru before the merger does.

Being on Edge with T-Mobile on the iPhone is the biggest reason i left to Android in the first place. Dont know how you keep doing it. No way id keep paying a lot of money for an iPhone to stay on Edge. Especially with the Android phones they have now.

14. Minhimalism thread starter macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

Been doing it since my iPhone 3G.. still going to move up to the 5. Holding out on the refarm. I'm grandfathered into $5.99 / month unlimited data so..

15. ar93 macrumors member

i dont like being under contract.:p
    and why would i need a new phone?

----------

well i have wifi most of the time and i dont really use data. plus i get great signal for calls and texting.

16. cutienoua macrumors member

for autounion

because I use a verizon hotspot lte paired with iphone 4s on tmobile!
    thus my iphone battery will not be drained in 4 hours as much as an iphone 5 with lte will!

17. atomic50 macrumors member

I have been buying used iPhones since the original to use on my T-zones $5.39 plan. Edge has been good enough for my needs until the iPhone 5. I used 2GB of data last month! I cannot wait until the refarming is done around me.

18. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Well they have cheap plans that you wont need that grandfathered $5.99 crap plan which is only a old data plan that you would only get Edge with anyways. I forget what it used to be called as i used to have that as well with my iPhone. T-Zones or something.

Their value plan is cheap and their 2GB data plan is only $10 and they now offer truly unlimited but i dont know the details on that price wise. I used to pay $175-180 a month for 4 phones, two w/ data, 1 home line w/ viop..which they dont offer anymore but i still have and use the router.

Now i pay $124 a month with 4 phone lines, 3 with data and the 1 home line and really i could lower one of the 2GB data's to 200 MB since my Wife dont need 2GB so it would be $119 a month.

19. cutienoua macrumors member

for vegas

Live in Las Vegas: Improved Coverage and 4G iPhone Speeds

By Neville Ray, Chief Technology Officer for T-Mobile USA
    Faster speeds on unlocked iPhones: Las Vegas customers who bring unlocked AT&T iPhones to T-Mobile will now experience a significant speed boost. In fact, our internal tests of unlocked iPhone 4S devices running over 4G on our 1900Mhz spectrum recorded on average 70% faster download speeds than iPhone 4S devices on AT&T’s network.

20. Minhimalism thread starter macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

Well the 5.99 plan can access 3G / 4G once the network is refarmed, so why would I switch for no difference in speed?

21. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

It's about the monthly rates mainly. T-Mobile has prepaid and even contract plans that are much cheaper than the competition and yet they still have a nationwide network. Lots of options for plans rather than being forced to pay around $100 or more per month on AT&T/Verizon.

Plus the iPhone is just that desirable that people are willing to put up with Edge to have it.

I have a 4S with them right now but it works out for me because I'm on Wi-Fi at home, work, and school and the Edge data around here is good enough so that I can stream Pandora. The only thing that's painfully slow is streaming videos. I've tried the Androids that T-Mobile has (GS2, GS3, One S) for the fast HSPA+ 42 speeds but it's just the Android OS as a whole that feels sluggish and inefficient compared to iOS. I liked the One S and tried to stick it out but the battery was terrible. So I decided I would rather have an iPhone and wait for the refarm instead of suffering with an Android even though they have HSPA+ 42.