iPhone 5 on T-Mobile?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tianh, Sep 12, 2012.

1. tianh macrumors regular

Does anyone know that if I buy the iPhone 5 unlocked, will I be able to use it on T-Mobile network in the Bay Area while still receiving 3g speed? Anyway I could check?

2. iTouch macrumors 6502

You might have to wait a little for unlocked iPhone 5s and of course, pay the full price on the phone starting at $649 or so for the 16GB. And they are refarming some of their spectrum to work with faster data speeds. But that's pretty limited right now. Call it a work in progress. Otherwise it's EDGE.

3. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

T-Mobile is talking like their top markets will have 3G iPhone compatibility by the 21st of Sept. but no one knows for sure. If you want a 5 I would suggest you wait until October to see where the 3G is rolled out. I see no reason to jump the gun and grab one if your area is still on Edge.

4. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Plus theres the little problem with the nano-sim. Getting one of those automatically renews your contract by 2 years if i am not mistaken.

5. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

I just read this a few days ago. Their updated network for use with phones from say AT&T is online in some cities. New York, Seattle, Las Vegas, and Washington, D.C. and i think Chicago. i know those for sure. Dont recall the Bay Area though. There may be more but i dont remember.

6. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

You are mistaken. Besides, like with the micro-sim there will be sim cutters available within hours.

7. Fissure macrumors 6502

I wouldn't think so. If I buy a iPhone 5 outright, no contract, and go to AT&T to activate I don't believe they'll slap a 2 year commitment on me for buying one of thier $30 nano-SIM cards.