iPhone 5 or iPad 3?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macmastersam, Sep 19, 2012.

1. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

so, i have decided that it is that time again where i splash out some money on an apple, and in a bit of a dilemma: get the iPhone 5 or the iPad 3? i currently have £600 to spend on either, which could get the 32gb iPhone 5 from apple or get the iPad 3 with the same size capacity...

background information: i currently have an iPhone 3GS 32GB and a desktop PC, hence my stuck decision whether to get an iPhone, which will be more updated, or get the iPad 3, which will be my portable computer for carrying round the house.

The uses would be the same for both the iPad and the iPhone: sending iMessages, viewing YouTube videos, checking my Facebook, and some heavy web browsing :D the iPhone 3GS still works well in these categories, but i find that the 3GS is becoming a bit outdated fro me and hangs a bit after sliding to unlock or just loading an app in general sometimes...

However: for doing the same on both, comes a different price cost on each; for the 32GB iPad 3, it is £479, and for the 32GB iPhone 5, it is £599

will give extra information if requested, and all help appreciated :).

2. daveishere macrumors 6502a

daveishere

If i were if your shoes, i'd get an iPhone 5.

You'll see a HUGE performance increase over a 3GS.

3. Inf4life macrumors regular

Inf4life

iPhone 5 will be leaps and bounds past your 3GS. The Retina alone is worth the switch. You won't be sorry.

4. Rookie1986 macrumors 6502

Get the iPhone 5 now and be happy :) then get the "Next iPad" when it launches next year with the updated processor, new lightning connector and other updates :)

Rookie

5. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

I have the 4S and the 2nd gen iPad and honestly I do not use the iPad at all since the iPhone is with me all the time. My wife uses it for FaceTime but other than that it sits collecting dust.

You should go with the iPhone 5, it's much more versatile.

6. macmastersam thread starter macrumors 6502a

what is wrong with it? :D

thank you for that. it seems like everyone suggests getting the iphone 5...

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

You can get at least $100 for your 3GS if it is in nice shape, so you can basically get a 4S for free or a 5 for another $100.

8. hobx macrumors regular

Just to be awkward. From your requirements in my opinion the Ipad3 is a better choice. Web browsing and movies / youtube are just awesome on it. Bar none the best media consumption device on the planet. The Iphone is nice, but its a phone.... Nowhere there did you list a requirement for actual phone stuff, in which case, if you're 3gs does the job.....

9. RenoG macrumors 65816

Since you will use your phone much more, get the iphone 5 it will be a world of a difference as in 'totally blow you away' difference coming from the 3gs. You can get the ipad later..

10. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

iPhone 5 now......updated iPad later. Wait until the iPad gets the latest processor design and lightning connector.

11. iAlphard macrumors regular

If you are not into gaming, get the iphone 5.

12. tabnewsplus macrumors newbie

Get the iPhone 5 now. IPhone 5 with faster surfing speed

13. Deako macrumors 6502

14. cperchard macrumors 6502a

If you don't currently have a tablet.....get the ipad 3.....i thought it was gonna be a gimmicky thing that i wouldn't use that much, but i use it ALL THE TIME!

I never even touch my phone when i'm at home any more, cos the ipad's screen is just amazing, everything is easier to look at and easier to use.

I am pumped about the new iphone 5, but if i didn't already have an ipad and i knew how good they were, then i would skip the phone and get the ipad.

15. student_trap, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012

student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

I know you didn't specifically mention these, but what about an iPhone 4 for £319 and an iPad 2 for £329. (Refurbs would bring the price down further)

Have a big step up from your phone, and a tablet for browsing. My iPad 2 is fab, its really fast, does everything I ask of it, and does it while remaining cold to the touch. Likewise, the iPhone 4 is also still very capable (I myself have just upgraded from a 3gs to a 4s - I could have got a 5, but thought i'd wait for any issues to be ironed out, and the price to drop a little - I'll probably get one in a year)

16. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

Knowing you already have an iphone, even the 3gs.
    I would choose the ipad 3. :D

17. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

I would get the iPhone 5 and wait to see what happens with the iPad Mini in October. If you sell your 3GS or trade it somewhere, you may be able to afford both the iPhone 5 and iPad Mini and get the best of both worlds.

18. riveting macrumors 6502

Get the ipad 3, no matter how fast iphone 5 is, the tiny screen is going to limit your experience in browsing and other activities, when you need them on the go, the 3gs would be fine.

The ipad 3 screen is amazing, browsing, reading PDF is a joy on it.

19. macmastersam thread starter macrumors 6502a

i would specifically like to get 1 32gb, because i am reaching nearly 16GB on my iPhone already and don't want to limit myself on what i can store :confused:

20. Jarson macrumors regular

Jarson

Go for iPad3 if you have an iPhone already!!!

21. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

If you're going to get an iPad, at least wait until after the event in October to see what changes they present.

22. apierrec macrumors 6502

I'll break the tie: It's more fun joining the crazies / mania while it's hot :), get the iPhone 5 and wait for the iPad mini. :D

Disclaimer: That's coming from a person with an old Mac 13" laptop collecting dusts after purchasing his first and only the new iPad on launch day. And am definitely upgrading my iP4 into iP5 (hoping on launch day), it's just a matter of which US carrier.

23. bearsbears macrumors member

Get the iPhone 4 or 4s (still a big improvement over your 3GS), and then wait until the new iPad comes out.