iPhone 5 or iPhone 4[S][S]?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by moonman239, Sep 13, 2012.

?

What should it have been called?

Poll closed Oct 13, 2012.
  1. iPhone 6. Seriously, why'd they name it the iPhone 5?

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. iPhone 5.

27 vote(s)
    77.1%
  3. iPhone 4[S][S].

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. moonman239 macrumors 68000

I know there's a thread like this, but I wanted to add a poll.

The only major features are:
    1) A 4"-inch display screen. Some people either like having a phone with a 4"-inch screen or don't care.
    2) LTE. I suppose this is going to be enough to sell millions of new iPhones.
    3) A new dock connector port. So until the clock radio manufacturers put in a Lightning dock, you won't be able to hook up your phone to your clock radio without buying an adapter.
    4) A thinner frame?
    5) An A6 processor chip.

I think I listed just about every major feature of the new iPhone. All the rest are minor. They hardly even touched the camera.

2. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

5 major features and a new design isn't a full upgrade to you? Not sure what in the world you're looking for.

3. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

exactly. Tired of people wanting more and more. What they did to the new iPhone 5 is great. Go with android phones if you want your screen size to change every month and get a new phone each month with a new software

4. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

Agreed. This is just foolish. The only shared components from the old phone are the physical buttons and the mute switch. Everything else on the outside of the phone is new. Sure it's similar in shape, but it's distinctively Apple when you see it.

And I buy what Schiller said. They took all that the 4S was, crammed it into less volume and improved on every aspect. As an engineer, I can tell you these are difficult challenges. Think about it. All the other phones that have so much "more" to them (not that much to me, pretty similar) are a larger footrprint because of their giant screens and they are thicker as well. The solution Apple presents really is impressive, whether it looks like it or not.

5. sixteen12 macrumors regular

Its a complete redesign. Saying its not new is like saying the 1st generation Macbook pro is identical to the 2nd generation. They are similar as its a great designed but actually quite different when you look at it.

Its a big upgrade guys, if you want something completely different get an Android or Windows phone.

6. appswipe macrumors 6502

This is such a stupid complaint. The 4S and 5 are nothing but names so even id thy called it the iPhone 7 it would still be the iPhone that came after the iPhone 4S. So obsessing over names is pointless.

7. SCARY GAY DAD macrumors 6502

SCARY GAY DAD

8. moonman239 thread starter macrumors 68000

One more thing: Is it just me, or does the phone look kind of weird?

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The industrial design is different enough to not be considered part of the iPhone 4 family. So iPhone 5 it is.

10. farawaybrothers macrumors member

I agree, the company names the device whatever the hell it wants, and naming it the iPhone 5 is the logical thing to do, I mean iPhone 3 and 3GS had the same design, iPhone 4 and 4S had a new design from the previous ones, and now the iPhone 5 with ... wait for it ... yes a new design.

People will get used to it in no time just like with the iPhone 4

11. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

It's just you.