iPhone 5 or not; what's a data plan worth?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by abuleban, Sep 18, 2012.

1. abuleban macrumors member

So, I have been very lucky. I had the original iphone with the unlimited data plan from AT&T for the last 4 years or so. I limped by on the iPhone 1.0 until I got the 4, was lucky enough to be upgraded to a 4s via a repair swap, and my contract has been over since July.

I'm planning on leaving the country, probably for a year or two, so I'm torn. On the one hand, using data plans abroad is not cheap and not worth it, so getting a 5 is not necessary, unless I pay the premium and get an unlocked phone. But, if I was to get a subsidized iphone 5, and set the plan at its lowest levels and pay as little as possible, at least then I could keep the plan rolling, with that phone and hopefully the one after it.

anyway, advice (not snark) is welcome, thank you!

2. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

The best thing to do in your case is to buy a factory unlocked iPhone 5. It will be more economical in the long run.

3. abuleban thread starter macrumors member

yeah, but

that still doesn't save my unlimited plan, which would be the main point

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

You need to make your priorities clear in your OP if you want recommendations. Don't just assume that others know your particular priorities. If keeping your unlimited data plan is the main point then why do you need feedback? You know what you need to do.

Worth is highly subjective no matter what the topic. You need to make the call for yourself.

5. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Without more information, folks here can not help. The biggest factor is what country and will you be on the plan in THAT country. How can anyone here know that information?