iPhone 5 out of stock. Need some opinions.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by garrett96, Sep 28, 2012.

1. garrett96 macrumors newbie

Every Apple and AT&T store in my area is completely sold out of the 5, and they have all said that they don't know when they will be getting more. I've thought about ordering one online, but the wait is 3-4 weeks. My concern is that if I buy one online, that one of the stores near me will recieve a new shipment, and I would be stuck waiting those 4 weeks instead of being able to go the store and get it. What do you think I should do? Wait and see if any of the stores get a new shipment, or should I just go ahead and order it online?

2. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

You can reserve an iPhone for store pickup from Apple's online store.

3. CanadaEh macrumors regular

4. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Wow. Somebody really asked this question.

Like, for the 500th time in the past week. Welcome.

5. cvaldes macrumors 68040

Order online, then keep checking the local bricks-and-mortar stores until your online order ships. If you are able to get your hands on one before it ships, cancel the online order.

Or just order one online and move on with your life, not worrying about the actual ship date until you get the e-mail.

In the big picture, does it really matter if you have to wait a few weeks? It's a phone, not a kidney transplant.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Where do you live? If you're in a city that has several Apple stores then I'd wait and try them every day. It's likely you'll get one within a week.

If you're way out some place where your only choice is a single Best Buy, well then ordering online might not be a bad idea.

7. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

Honestly...how hard is the "search forums" option?

8. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

hurry up and get your fully scratched new iPhone!

9. Beezzy macrumors 6502

Just order online. Why did you wait 2 weeks to decide if you want one? This always happens with the new iPhone.

10. Kenjhee macrumors regular

I'm in the same boat (along with hordes of other folk). The Apple rep told me to log my order in the online store, then check every night after 10 pm. When you click the button for store pickup, a scrolling menu pops up which shows availability for the model you want at all your local stores. As soon as one shows up anywhere, jump on it get your phone the following day.

Is this better than simply backordering online for the 3-4 weeks? Not sure. But you can keep saving your order, so you don't have to re-enter your information night after night. Kind of fun, really, and takes the frustration out of it.

Good luck.

11. It'sMyPrecious macrumors regular

Ahh I am stuck with waiting 1 month because I have to order from a Verizon wireless store, and apparently they're out of stock. They said they "might" have it on October 26th. Yes, "might"...

12. garrett96 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I think I'm going to try and wait and cross my fingers that one of the stores gets a new shipment.

13. Kenjhee macrumors regular

The system works! I just scored my i5. The model I wanted became available at their Palo Alto store a few minutes after 10 pm. Not really that much further than my home store. Very excited.