iPhone 5 overheating?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Brohammad, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Brohammad macrumors newbie

hey guys, quick question. i have a pioneer head unit in my car that i plug my iPhone 5 into to listen to music and i've noticed the phone gets hot to the touch. to the point where i can barely hold it. one time it even gave me the overheating sign with the little triangle telling me i have to let it cool down. anyone else have this problem or have a solution? thanks!:D

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, don't plug it in to the pioneer head unit.

3. RenoG macrumors 65816

This^^ its your only solution.

4. XxS4CR3DxX macrumors member

XxS4CR3DxX

Mine gets warm when plugged in to the wall charger and some times my MacBook Pro buts that cause its charging plus they will get hot if they are charging and being used at the same time

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Pretty much what's already been explained. Your iPhone is getting charged and you're using it at the same time. The usage, any data streaming, plus the charging means that the phone is both using power, AND accepting power to charge the battery, and some of that energy gets lost to heat. Mine gets warm as well when I connect it to my Cruze entertainment system and stream music off it. Being in the sun probably doesn't help either, especially if the iPhone is black in color (black objects have a tendency to absorb direct sunlight and convert to heat; white objects reflect light and don't get as hot in direct sunlight).

I usually get around it by pointing an A/C vent at the phone to help it cool off.

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Head unit alone shouldn't cause this, must be a combo of factors: hot car, charging, iphone under direct sunlight blah-blah blah. Some hot days, I can't touch metal stuff in the car either, until after the AC is been blasted for a while.

Test at night, no charging see what it does. Still problem then you HU is at fault.

7. Brohammad thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm thinking it's the sun. At night, it's perfectly fine. During winter, it's also fine. I just wanted to know if other people were having this issue.