''Iphone 5'' parts were only iphone 4 parts made for verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CZK, Jan 11, 2011.

1. CZK macrumors 6502a

Remember these parts ? Some websites were saying that it was iphone 5 's parts. Well they were wrong.

[​IMG]

2. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

The real question is, will the iPhone 5 simul launch on AT&T and Verizon on July of this year.

3. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Yes they will launch on the same day ... and it makes sense that they may have improved the Antenna on these Verizon iPhones. :cool:

4. Charadis macrumors 6502a

I believe the iPhone 5 may use the revised antenna currently offered with the soon to be released Verizon iPhone 4, but we can only wait and see. This should be one of the offerings if the iPhone 5 retains the current form factor.

-C

5. Charadis macrumors 6502a

Now that I've seen the previews of the hands on with the Verizon iPhone 4 from http://www.engadget.com/photos/verizon-iphone-4-even-more-looks/#3774434, it appears there is NO SIM slot access.

I think the revealed part may be AT&T's version of the antenna revision for iPhone 4 since there is a SIM slot access, or it could definitely be iPhone 5 for AT&T coming out later this year to feature the new revision.

-C

6. tirk macrumors 6502

tirk

Good spot - you could well be right.

7. techkidd4400 macrumors regular

Does this mean that an iphone 5 is coming out in June? If so, will it be available on Verizon and At&t or just AT&T? Does anyone know?

I know this is typical for Apple, but June sounds too soon for an Iphone 5 this time given the february launch of iPhone 4 on Verizon.

8. Charadis macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I was expecting a SIM slot for the Verizon iPhone 4 because I was hoping for LTE and had my hopes up for the leaked bezel part, but was disappointed when I read the official confirmation for no LTE and observed the clean side of the SIM side for the new iPhone.

Based on speculation, the leaked part could be for the new AT&T "iPhone 5" or whatever it will be called later this summer, or it could be an iPhone 4 revision for AT&T coming out before this summer and shortly after Verizon's iPhone 4.....

-C

9. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

Not necessarily. There are still plenty of iPhone 4's being sold worldwide now on a variety of carriers even though most people believe there will be a refresh come June.

10. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

fact 1: Verizon iPhone has no sim slot
    fact 2: the leaked antenna parts do have a sim slot
    fact 3: Tim Cook said the Antenna had been redesigned for CDMA networks
    fact 4: new GSM iPhones have been announced in june for 3 years now

combining these 4, it wouldn't be too far fetched to assume that these were parts for the iPhone 5, which could very well be a hybrid GSM (sim card)/ CDMA (antenna layout) phone

OR they are just unifying the antenna layout amongst the SKUs to prevent the (now inevitable) iPhone case fragmentation due to different positioning of mute switch and volume buttons

11. shandyman Suspended

i see the next iphone being the equvalent to the 3G to 3GS, minor internal tweaks, but in esscence looking the same, but with the antenna looking like the CDMA iPhone 4, therefore eliminating antennagate issues

12. nickosbad macrumors regular

I guess that when we see the new iphone in June we will see the same antenna design as the verizon one and its apple's way of sneaking in a fix without admitting there was a problem in the first place.

I dont really know how CDMA works but it still needs just the one antenna right??? If this is the case then why is there an extra break in the bands other than to provide an insulator to the to antennas (4 bands, 2 antennas,2insulators) now the 2 antennas cannot be directly bridged in the same way as before!!!

Oh and why the hell did this need its own press conference, i like apple products but the way everything is "magical" and has to be "announced" seems overly pretentious!!

13. shandyman Suspended

It's not an apple press conference, it's a verizon press conference, same thing happened around the world when new carriers got the iPhone, it's the standard.

14. nickosbad macrumors regular

I dont remember a special press conference when we got it on all carriers in the UK

Apple's prescence at the press conference was all part of "operation antenna fix" so that when the new one is released there will be less questions why because "we had to change the design for verizon"

Clever but obvious business sense!!

15. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Actually I think CDMA does require two antennas, one for cdma2000 (voice) and another for evdo (data).

But I do think the next iPhone will be a hybrid released on all four carriers this summer.

16. nickosbad macrumors regular

I wasn't sure. I still think we will se the exact same antenna design on the next iphone though!

17. shandyman Suspended

there was a big press announcement by vodafone and by orange. only reason apple were at verizon's press conference was due to the CDMA and the americans like to make a big show and tell.

my point is that this was not an apple announcement, so your 'magical' announcements from apple are still intact....

18. NathanA macrumors 6502a

No. Incorrect. 1xRTT voice and EVDO data are both transmitted on the exact same frequencies. (Besides, if there were two antennas, attached to two separate radios, then CDMA networks wouldn't have the inherent problem of no simultaneous voice and data. Oh, and that's exactly how SVDO solves this problem: two separate radios! ...but they'll still share a single antenna.)

I believe Apple's claim that CDMA "required" them to tweak with the antenna design is BS. In the United States, CDMA carriers and GSM/UMTS carriers may use competing technologies, but they both share the same airspace: 800MHz ("cellular" band) and 1900MHz ("PCS" band). The only exception to this is T-Mobile, which was the only U.S. mobile company that elected to buy up "AWS" band licenses from the FCC (1700/2100MHz), which is why their 3G GSM phones don't do 3G on other U.S. GSM providers and vice-versa.

So although the baseband chipset inside the iPhone needed to be replaced with a CDMA-capable one, the antenna did not need to be "re-tuned" for "CDMA frequencies." The frequencies used are the same.

-- Nathan

19. Infraggable Kru macrumors regular

This is probably a CDMA iPhone 4 Prototype

similar to the iPad prototype that had two dock openings, its just a prototype, not a hint of what the iPad 2 would look like