iPhone 5: People DIDN'T complain about the first three's designs.

Shane2100AD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2012
Really? You don't remember that the first iPhone, iPhone 3G and the iPhone 3GS looked the exactly the same and the "5" is rumored to look the same albeit a little bit bigger?

I don't see the point in complaining when Apple threw us the same design three years in a row and now they're doing it again; only thing is, there will be an extra year added in. (the 5S)

Prediction: iPhone 6 (2013/2014) will have a redesign.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68000
Dec 28, 2009
I don't get why they just don't restore the form factor of the original iPhone. That was the best one.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Really? You don't remember that the first iPhone, iPhone 3G and the iPhone 3GS looked the exactly the same and the "5" is rumored to look the same albeit a little bit bigger?

I don't see the point in complaining when Apple threw us the same design three years in a row and now they're doing it again; only thing is, there will be an extra year added in. (the 5S)

Actually, i think they did.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
There are some people here that complain about EVERY design until it is announced at a keynote.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I don't get why they just don't restore the form factor of the original iPhone. That was the best one.
They probably will sometime down the road.
Kinda like the car companies do now bringing the old style back to brand new models.

There are some people here that complain about EVERY design until it is announced at a keynote.
And even after its announced :D

trlyka

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2011
I agree^ If they wanted to revamp the 3G/S, I would be good with that. Make it a bit longer/wider and I'd be happy.

David085

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
I never own a iPhone 4 or 4s I will see if I like the design of the iPhone 5 once is in my hands when I Preorder during release.

Coldsnow

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2012

Apple only releases a new iPhone every year around October/September. Apple's iPhone terribly needs a redesign. Your argument is invalid.

Last edited:

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
3G/S designs were crap, the 2G was great. I'm also a huge fan of the 4's design and wouldn't be that broken up if they keep it the same; as with many Apple products, seeing it in person will make it click.

JesalTV

Aug 24, 2012
London
To be honest, it's almost a moot point.

So many people put cases on their iPhones, so all you see is the front (which isn't going to change anyway.

Saying that, I'd happily not put a case on if the metal back is resilient and stylish enough. I actually don't like the extra weight the case adds, even if mine is super cool.

scott99

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2007
I LOVED the first iPhone, I thought it had an amazing design. Unfortunately I gave it to my ex gf who is very clumsy and loses things. Someone stole it from her purse. I think the iPhone 4(S) design is awesome. I like it way more than the iPhone 3g and 3gs design.I like that it's flat, and that it has a lot of metal around the sides. Just a great design.

Abazigal

macrumors G5
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

Early on, the design of the iphone was probably still novel enough that people were still wowed by its appearance.

Now, 5 years later, I guess more are getting a little bored with its staid design and want a new look.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
I think the 3g/3gs felt the best in the hand with its rounded edges, but the 4/4s looks the best however i dislike it's flat edges.

Mostly I think with computers Apple can upgrade the specs without a redesign but its not as acceptable with phones.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
maybe down the road they will do that. It is still only like 5 years old though and too soon to bring back the throw back look. Who knows, maybe is another 5 years that will be back in style. I loved the original back and am glad they are doing two tone

mzjin

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
Longer iPhone is going to be awesome. More screen area and more useable phone like size.

Hankcah

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
Let's step outside the box a tad...

Major car companies like BMW/Porsche and a few others, stick to their product throughout many years

Let's take the 3 series for example. BMW makes minimal changes to their design, tests the crap out of it, and every year it gets better and better.

Apple is the same way with their iPhone. They won't release ****** software or an update just because Android has it, or everyone wants it.

Apple has all eyes on them, because they aren't all about instant gratification. They've made it a point that it's their way, and not the customer's way.

Function/simplicity is the design.

So to put a spin on things, I'm glad they are sticking with a similar design, and not making drastic changes. You can spot an iPhone miles away, and everyone knows what it is.

Classic.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Wasn't there a lot of complaining (here, at least) about the design when the iPhone 4 was left in a bar and was leaked to the world?