iPhone 5 performance as a 4G modem? USB/Bluetooth

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hitrate, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Hitrate macrumors regular

Hitrate

Hey guys and girls,

Let's have an "official" (predictions) thread on the topic of: What will the upload and download speeds be when tethering your iPhone 5 through USB to your Mac, while on 4G ? What will the ping respons times be, what will the average up/down speeds be on different providers during days of normal traffic on the mobile networks ?

I'm currently on the 3GS, and it has always been real slow - definitely bearable for browsing, but not for uploading and HD streaming. Obviously the 3GS has much higher up & download speeds when using the internet on the phone itself, but through USB it's always been slow.

So I'm asking you people for some answers to those questions - preferably some screenshots of speed tests, including the provider, and also at different connections: 4G, 3G etc.

(I know tests have to wait till tomorrow, but I figure some of you might already have a few answers, and we can let this thread stay until real world testing can begin shortly)

Btw. it'd also be really cool to have speed tests done with bluetooth connectivity - I'm not an expert, but seing as it has Bluetooth 4.0 support, and I guess at least the Retina MBP also does, theoretically it'd be much faster than what we're used to :D

So what speeds, ping times etc. do you get when connecting to the internet through bluetooth?

2. Hitrate thread starter macrumors regular

Hitrate

You guys can't seriously tell me that none of you care :confused: Unless dust specks on your precious black iPhone 5's are still bugging you

3. NDefer macrumors member

why wouldnt you just tether with the built in Wifi tether in ios?

4. twylie, Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012

twylie macrumors newbie

I tethered with my VZW 4S from the day I got it. I started using WiFi as it was "cool" and "clean" to not have a cable attached. I got frequent enough drops that I eventually started USB tethering and that's the only way I'll do it now, unless I'm on a road trip and others in the car want access.

On VZW LTE, over a USB tether I'm getting anywhere from 15-20MB down and 5-10MB up even in areas where I've only got 2 bars of signal.

Functionally, it's as fast as my home connection (50/10 Comcast) over WiFi.

LTE speeds were the primary reason for me to upgrade. I dropped my single unlimited plan to go to a 6GB Share Everything plan with an iPad and save $30 a month over my old setup.

ZERO regrets and LTE is reason enough alone to upgrade for anyone that lives or works in an LTE covered area. I'm 40 miles outside Atlanta and the speeds I'm getting are virtually instant with web browsing and large emails.

For ping, I'm getting anywhere from 60-150 with the average around 110.

For comparison, my home cable connection is consistently in the 10-12ms range.

Tethered to my MacBook Air over USB:

[​IMG]

Bluetooth Tether in same location:

[​IMG]

WiFi Tether in same location:

lost signal as it was finishing but it was about 2.25MB up and down.

USB is the only way to tether IMO.

5. Hitrate thread starter macrumors regular

Hitrate

Thank you!