iPhone 5 pictures arent very sharp

bbplayer5

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
Anyone having this issue? If I take a picture at a distance of around 20 feet, its pretty clear, however, surrounding objects closer to me are blurry. Adding a little sharpness to the picture makes it look stunning, however, I shouldn't have to do this I wouldn't think? Pictures taken with the Galaxy SIII seem a lot sharper, but not really on the same level with color depth.

Anyone running into this? I mostly see it when I take a picture of text though. Text on the GS3 seems way sharper, and I have to run filters on the iPhone to correct it.

First iPhone:

GS3

iPhone 5 with added sharpness

sandwicher

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
Can't really tell the difference Before and After the edit for iPhone? Care to circle the difference?

Anyway, the colour for G3 is so washed out. iPhone colour seems so much better.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
Can't really tell the difference Before and After the edit for iPhone? Care to circle the difference?

Anyway, the colour for G3 is so washed out. iPhone colour seems so much better.
Ya sorry about that, i didnt realize macrumors would shrink them that much :) There is a difference in the sharpness, I just didnt go overboard. Since it shrunk the picture, I guess it will look sharp regardless.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
It is not new that iphone 4-4s-5 now take very saturated pictures wich most people will find to look "better".

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
I agree that the iPhone is the better picture. :cool:

And yes, shrinking the picture will sharpen it up a bit.

VSMacOne

macrumors 601
Oct 18, 2008
I feel like the GS3 is washed out... Where did you tap the focus on the iPhone when you took the pic? That might have something to do with the picture being darker as well.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
I feel like the GS3 is washed out... Where did you tap the focus on the iPhone when you took the pic? That might have something to do with the picture being darker as well.
I took a picture where i tapped on the door of the shed, and one where I didnt tap at all, and let it auto focus. To be honest, there wasnt any difference.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
I agree that the iPhone is the better picture. :cool:

And yes, shrinking the picture will sharpen it up a bit.
Oh I agree, but the level of detail on the GS3 is better. HDR pictures on the iPhone are unmatched though. The HDR on the GS3 is horrible. The HDR of the shed didnt make a difference, so I didnt bother posting it.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
Looks like the GS3 has a wider view angle getting more of the picture in also.

LouieSamman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Orlando, Florida
It could look less sharp than the G3 because of the colors. iPhone 5 has more of a darker rich color meaning somewhat saturated so you don't see details as much but it's still a sharp photo. The G3 colors are washed out so you see lines and details of the object more.

Last edited:

bbplayer5

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
I could look less sharp than the G3 because of the colors. iPhone 5 has darker rich colors meaning somewhat saturated so you don't see details as much but it's still a sharp photo. The G3 colors are washed out so you see lines and details of the object more.
Ya thats a good point. I think its better to add a little sharpness to a picture, than to try to add saturation.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
I guess that's just a software difference.

When saving a picture to JPEG, cameras add a certain amount of sharpness.

Even with a DSLR, shooting a JPEG with default settings will get you a sharper image vs shooting in RAW. A lot of people are surprised by how not sharp RAW pictures are before editing. I know Canon DSLRs add +3 in sharpness to JPEGs by default (Standard profile).

The point of RAW is that you can edit the picture later on and add the desired amount of sharpness without sharpening destructively at the time of taking the picture like JPEG compression does.

It's really a matter of preference, whether you want an accurate picture or one that appears to be better by inflating the sharpness. It's a subjective debate like with screens (good color accuracy vs inflated saturation) or headphones (flat response or inflated bass).

The GS3 probably adds more software sharpening than the iPhone 5 but it still looks realistic. If you have ever seen a picture taken with a BlackBerry PlayBook, you know how bad software sharpening can look if you add too much of it.

cRuNcHiE

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2007
Isn't this just bokeh?

The iPhone has an 8% wider aperture than the sgs3 so it has a narrower depth of field.

Ishimaru

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
Los Angeles
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.