iPhone 5 possibly waterproof?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SR71, Sep 8, 2012.

1. SR71 macrumors 68000

Does anyone else remember the rumors about the iPhone 5 possibly receiving a nanocoating to make it completely waterproof? I remember reading these rumors back during CES 2012. Would this be a feature you'd like to see introduced?

2. chleuasme macrumors 6502

mmh, interesting. I only heard about the jetpack

3. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Did you hear about the teleportation app?

4. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

I don't know about the teleportation app, but waterproofing the iPhone via nano coatings is a real thing you can get done now:

http://www.liquipel.com/

I bet apple makes too much money replacing water damaged iPhones to factory install the coating, but it would be nice to have this as an first party option when ordering.

5. irDigital0l Guest

Did you also hear about the holographic Siri, built-in time machine, and 3D projector?

6. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Yes

7. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

That doesn't work super well either. I saw a video of someone dunking there phone into a jar of water with liquipel on and it fried. Its not water proof. Maybe water resistant provided it can survive in water without being fully submerged, but its not water proof by any means.

Also, if Apple put a nano coating on they would have to repair water damaged phones for free. That's a terrible business move. And they can't say they are including a nano coating to water proof it if they don't fix water damaged phones for free? Water damage will still happen! There is no way around a fault wuth the coating process or something like that. Even if 1 in 10 phones have a defect, there is a chance to loose a lot of money with the millions of devices sold.

8. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

There's was quite the discussion about it around a month ago: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1419687

For the record, not hating; just thought it might be beneficial to hash through those conversations.

Rumor wa that Apple was in talks with a company called HzO

9. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

That would be awesome.

I like this type of small differentiations manufacturers do, waterproofing, screen lamination, multiple level LEDs, etc...

10. 725032 Guest

I think we all know the answer to this... 100% NO

11. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'll just go with a new Otterbox case...That IS waterproof.

12. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

No. It's not a complete solution and would cause more problems than it fixes.

Water damaged phones cannot amount to a large enough problem to make it on Apple's feature radar.

13. daveishere macrumors 6502a

daveishere

No such this as being 'completely waterproof'.

Water resistant, yes. Waterproof: No.

14. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

iPhone 4: antenna gate
    iPhone 4S: battery gate
    iPhone 5: water gate!

If the new iPhone happens to be waterproof, it would be smart for apple to be very careful about how they announce it. The following week people will keep their phones underwater for weeks and then sue apple for false advertising.

15. davidgnomo macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo

16. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Why isn't keeping the device dry so difficult? Stop getting drunk and dropping your phone in the toilet. Don't take it water skiing or scuba diving with you.

Apple already offers water proofing. Apple Care Plus. It can be applied to any new iPhone or iPad at the point of purchase and even extends your warranty an additional year.

17. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Hah. Which one (that I can buy) is waterproof again? Also, if those "waterproof" ones come available, which one could I easily carry around daily? Finally, is there any warranty or guarantee with those?

Yeah..that's what I thought. :cool::D

18. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

Not a Otterbox but for the 4S/4 www.lifeproof.com makes a water resistant case that is super slim, you barely can tell it is on your device. No guarantee but if you put it on right you are set, I took my phone swimming and using waterproof headphones I would listen to music while swimming which was nice to do while training for an Ironman.

19. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

The waterproof feature would be useful.

Quite a few threads on the forums about phones being dropped in toilets.

Probably while people are enjoying themselves looking at their special pictures.

20. kannesss macrumors 6502a

I would love this to happen. Plus, it is a huge selling point for some people im sure

21. zhandri macrumors 6502

new iphone gonna have an integrated time machine.... heard it here first

22. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

"No guarantee" = no thanks. Not gonna happen if they don't stand behind their major advertisements, especially after I've read threads about people with them whose phones became water damaged & Lifeproof just said, "sorry." Nope!