iPhone 5 pre order questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dweb619, Sep 12, 2012.

1. dweb619, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012

dweb619 macrumors member

I am on big blue and i don't have a update for my line until May of 2013. i don't want to wait a whole year to update. So i plan to pre order the iPhone 5 on the off contract price. i've added it all together and it will be $475.94 here are my questions.

1. when i get the phone how will i active it? (i've never pre ordered a phone and had to active it myself.)

2. when it is active will at&t charge me for the update?

3. will there be any other fees from at&t?

please help

i uploaded a pic of price.

http://tinypic.com/r/s6p01i/6

2. Goaliegeek macrumors 6502a

Goaliegeek

1. Just plug it into iTunes
    2. No. Usually only activation fees there are are when you first sign up for new service.
    3. If you don't have a data plan, you will have to get one. Other than that, you should be fine.

3. cschmelz macrumors 6502

You actually can activate the phone directly from the phone...It walks you through the steps. You haven't needed iTunes to activate since iOS 5.0

4. KPOM macrumors G5

How do you arrive at $474? The full no-commitment price is $649.

5. dweb619 thread starter macrumors member

well i'm not signed up for new service i'm buying the phone on the off contract price.

----------

because i typed in all my info at apple's webiste and i got this. http://tinypic.com/r/s6p01i/6

----------

that's right sorry i'm worried of this pre order stuff and i'm forgetting the basic of iOS

6. LFSimon macrumors regular

LFSimon

Preorder from ATT or Apple?

Any preference for ordering from ATT vs. Apple as far as order and deliver time frames?

7. SeanZy macrumors 6502a

You are getting the early upgrade cost, and the full no contract cost mixed up,

The picture that you posted is an early upgrade price. It is 450 for the 16GB, but that still puts you back into the 2 year contract.

The phone is 650 without a contract, and will come out to over 700 without tax.

Do you plan on paying the full price, or the early upgrade price?

8. dweb619 thread starter macrumors member

the early upgrade price.

9. SeanZy macrumors 6502a

Okay because earlier you said you are buying it off contract, but the early upgrade you will be locked into a two year contract starting sept. 21.....all you will need to do in that case is plug it into itunes and activate

10. dweb619 thread starter macrumors member

are you sure i will have to use iTunes? I thought iOS 5 was all about "cutting the cord"

11. sabu213 macrumors newbie

just a thought

I was not eligible for upgrade last year and wanted the 4S. But didnt wanna buy it outright. So i added a line and got it for the $199 price. I got the phone switched to my line. My bill is 9.99 a month more as the second line does not need a data plan or even a phone. I just have a sim in my glovebox.