iPhone 5: Preorder online vs. picking it up in person

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Peter., Aug 12, 2012.

1. Peter. macrumors member

Hey guys, I'm eligible for an upgrade with AT&T so I'll be waiting an extra month for the new iPhone. I don't really have experience in this so help would be much appreciated:

If I preorder it the day they announce the iPhone, generally speaking, when can I expect to get the iPhone?

If I try to pick it up in person, when should I plan on getting to the AT&T store?

Again, help is much appreciated!

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I don't see me ever standing in line again, preorder is the way to go for me
    I got my 4s on launch day with no problems preordering
    Even if I didn't, a day or two later would be worth missing the hassle for me

3. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Pre-order = You might get it the day of release or possibly even the day before!

AT&T store... It's going to be rough (but fun I hear). Maybe a day earlier? or the night before?

4. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

Pre-order online either through apple or your carrier. It takes some fighting with the server traffic but it's worth it vs waiting in line and dealing with the launch day insanity.

5. Peter. thread starter macrumors member

Do you think I'll have trouble preordering? In other words, how quickly does it "sell out" online during preorder day?

And thanks for all your help guys! I thought ordering would be backed up meaning it'd take 2+ weeks but if that's not the case, I'll definitely be preordering!

6. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

Historically, once the preorder starts, Apple's website gets very bogged down with heavy traffic. It will usually take several attempts of refreshing in order to get through to where you start putting in your info. In my opinion, last year was not nearly as bad as the year before. I think the preorders usually begin at Midnight Pacific time so depending on your location that means not sleeping or getting up very early.

As far as stock on hand, they usually do run out during the preorder.They reserve so many for their retail shops/carrier stores for launch day and they will probably sell out that morning. Then stock starts to trickle back in a couple weeks after launch day.

I usually just get up a little early and do the preorder. So far it's worked out well for me. As others have said if you preorder you may even get your phone a day early.

7. Indy21 macrumors 6502

I pre-order online and the phone is delivered before I get home.

In my case (and most others I'm sure), I have a full time job and can't "camp out" or wait in extremely long lines, so ordering online gives me the piece of mind that I will have my phone on launch day without the worry of "am I gonna get off in time", "will there be any phones left when I get there after work"?

Of course, I have considered taking a day off on launch day to go stand in line because I've heard it can be a fun experience. I'm sure it's all well and fun, up until they start telling the people towards the back (I'd prolly be in this group) that quantities are getting low and you may or may not get one today, sorry.

Oh, and I would be ECSTATIC to find out my phone came a day early! That would be the BEST case scenario. ;)

8. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

I will order only after you guys play with it a bit, and write a good review. And after reading other reviews as well, than I will order online. ;) No standing in line at a crowded Apple store for me.

9. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

10. budselectjr macrumors 6502a

Preorder- Be prepared for something to happen like UPS or Fedex screw something up and not get it launch day. But its ok. Just log on here and make 5 threads about it.

11. MVallee macrumors 6502a

MVallee

Didn't Apple do online reservations to go pick up the last iPad? Any chance they would do that for the iPhone? Seems like it would cut down on the chaos.

12. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

Preordering was easy last year. I preordered on the AT&T website the day they were made available and easily go through. My 4S was delivered around 11am on release day. Never stand in line.

13. Djs621 macrumors regular

Be ready to refresh the website a lot. Also, use chrome so you can autofill all your info into the info fields when checking out.