iphone 5 Presale Already sliped two weeks... WTF..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chrisfromalbany, Sep 14, 2012.

1. chrisfromalbany macrumors 6502

just what titles says... To sell out in hour.. What kind of a pre-sale is that?.. You couldn't order for the first 15 mins always..:confused:

2. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

There is already a couple threads about this...but all the carriers still have stock, order from them.

3. chrisfromalbany thread starter macrumors 6502

think bs.. that apple didnt have more stock on hand for this type of a release..

4. terryh703 macrumors regular

So they can only make about 30.000 to 50.000 per day of these phones since its all by hand.

They might only have a few million alloted to several outlets (apple.com, carriers, 3rd party, best buy, radioshack, etc)

And I can bet sometime tomorrow it will change again to 2-4 weeks.

5. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

They probably did or didn't - they've never released specific facts on how much stock they took in for day 1 pre-orders etc.

You'll still be able to pick one up from the Apple Store on the day (just start queueing up early :D )

6. chrisfromalbany thread starter macrumors 6502

oh sure that is a given..:apple:

7. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

this. Most people order through apple.com, so the carriers still have stock...or at least the carriers "think" they do.

8. chrisfromalbany thread starter macrumors 6502

or have att and always have stock because website is useless..

9. GR33NIE macrumors 6502

They probably did and it's probably gone already, like all previous releases expect this one to trump the lot

10. bobright macrumors 601

So glad I got in and will avoid the madness in Apple and AT&T stores on launch

Doh feel bad for y'all though

11. chrisfromalbany thread starter macrumors 6502

at least I didn't get a reservation from Apple only find out good for two weeks after release.. (core burn)

12. Laimbeersux macrumors 6502

I bet a ton of people got on the second it opened back up. I was done and submitted within 3 minutes. I used the Apple Store App, and it still worked even though I was on Edge at the time. I'm surprised as hell they didn't have more on hand. There are going to be a lot of pissed off Apple fans in the next few hours/days because of it

13. chrisfromalbany thread starter macrumors 6502

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V17duGlHEYY
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

----------

ATT store is impossible get order out of..

14. KPOM macrumors G5

There are a finite number of phones and they are launching in 30 countries by the end of the month. And they need stock for stores. My guess is that there will be more in the stores than last year. Apple had good results by holding back on the new iPad pre-orders in March and leaving more stock in stores.

15. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

Good point. I walked in to an Apple retail store at 2pm for an Ipad 3 on release day and they had plenty in stock.

I will still queue early on the 21st and that way I know I will get one on that day.

16. batting1000 macrumors 604

17. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

b.c last year it took about 8 hours to slip. I know a lot of people were planning on just waking up around 6:00am EST to avoid the initial server rape and then order....like they have in years past.

18. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

At 3:20am EST AT&T came through with my 64gb upgrade while I could not get through Apple's site!

19. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

It's actually slipped to 1 week need to subtract one week b/c the preorders are 1 week. I think thats what it means

20. DArsenault macrumors regular

I would try Best Buy. I just got an email that you can preorder in store today. Since they're not open yet, you can still get it on day one.

21. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

With all due respect you can't say that without knowing what the supply and demand figures were. You're making the assumption that because they sold out in an hour there wasn't much stock but for all we know they had a few million orders come in during that hour.

Frankly I'd be amazed if they haven't got at least 5 million units available worldwide for one simple reason: the 4S sold 4 million in its first weekend (and probably had close to 5 million units available as there was stock available for purchase after the initial rush). Apple will surely want to beat that number so will need to have more stock on hand.

22. biosci macrumors 6502a

I think they just want bigger lines at stores so they can have a media field day with it.....

23. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

they won't start shipping the phones today....it most likely means 2 weeks from the day they start shipping the ones for delivery on the 21st. Probably closer to October 2nd for delivery

24. KPOM macrumors G5

That's more Steve Jobs' style than Tim Cook. Remember there were relatively short lines for the new iPad, but they still sold more than ever before. There were even lines of scalpers returning product a few days later because they couldn't unload them because Apple had plenty of supply to go around.

----------

I just checked AT&T's site and they aren't stating specific dates (just that it will come "as soon as 9/21/12"). Since I wanted a full-priced version, I went ahead and placed a pre-order. We'll see what happens. I have my on-contract one from Apple that is definitely coming next Friday. If things go as planned, I'll receive the full-priced version in time (30 days) to swap the nano-SIM and return my contract iPhone, thus going back off contract and getting what I really want, a no-commitment iPhone that I can request be unlocked.