iPhone 5 Price

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LouisLivesLife, Sep 5, 2011.

1. LouisLivesLife macrumors regular

LouisLivesLife

I know that the price of the new iPhone has not leaked yet but there have been several speculations on how much it will actually cost. A lot of people think that the new iPhone (16gb) will cost around 299$, while I find it hard to believe that it will be sold at such a low price because the current cost of an iPhone is a lot higher atm.

Are there already any clues that could indicate the price?

These are the current price tags of the iPhones in Belgium:

Attached Files:

2. cinek macrumors 6502

3. Typswif2fingers macrumors 6502

Same..

4. bmms8 macrumors 68020

i think they will be the same. tbh i wouldnt mind paying an extra $50 for the phone. year after year i sell my previous phone and make a profit on the hardware.

5. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

but $649 is for unlocked iPhone, i think 299 will be for iPhone with AT&T contract

6. twitt3r macrumors 6502

Yeah yeah, here we go again...

Seriously, it's amazing how many entrepreneurs-in-potentia we have on here. I say "in potentia" because clearly they are not clever enough to see that if they bought 100 phones, they would make 100 times the profit...if indeed it were profit, which it isn't...

Getting a phone for $199 on a contract and selling the phone for $399 does not mean you made a profit.

7. bmms8 macrumors 68020

really? its not? did you see where i said profit on the "hardware"?

i buy an iphone regardless of carrier. i will be in contract, regardless of carrier. so if i buy a $199 subsidized phone each year, and i sell that very phone for $400 a year later, i have a profit on the "hardware"

i would love for you to tell me where i am wrong.

8. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

In terms of profit, he might be taking it the wrong way. He's saying that even though you are making a "profit," from a business perspective, you really aren't. You are just subsidizing yourself for another purchase every year because you still have to pay for the contract which will vastly outweigh the profit you made.

But, I do the same thing as you every year. But, I don't get the $199 every year so I break even by selling it for $400 and buying via early upgrade at $400.

9. aonali21 macrumors member

Iphone 5 has much more features than the earlier models so i expect that there will much difference in price also.... Some report comes that it will be about in $499.........!

10. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

iPhone 4 had much more features than 3GS along with a change in design. Same price point. Apple isn't going to raise the price. They should know simple Demand curves. Higher isn't going to get more sales. Sure, Apple people will buy it regardless but there are millions more people in the world that look at prices.

11. bmms8 macrumors 68020

yeah i understand what he was trying to say. you hit the nail on the head. instead of him making a smart comment, he should have read and understand what i was saying, not imply things he knows nothing about :)

12. twitt3r macrumors 6502

All you are doing is subsidizing the purchase of your next phone - on a contract that costs way more per month for the privilege of having that phone subsidized in the first place. Buying the phone outright and choosing a sim-only service is, at least for most people in the UK, a cheaper option overall AND it gives you the flexibility of changing it (and provider) whenever you want, and not just at the beginning of every cycle.

Interesting how people fail to look at the bigger picture when it comes to money. All they see is a $199 going out and $399 coming in, never mind the bit in the middle that cost you far more than it did me.

13. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Too bad with AT&T here, buying the phone off contract doesn't get me anywhere :)

Some view it as extra cash in their pocket, but I view it as 12 months payment of my data plan.

14. Nicolas4ever macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

i think that the prices of the new one will be like the currently one

15. bmms8 macrumors 68020

you my friend, cannot comprehend a statement. you cannot argue something when you dont understand what you are arguing. just please stop because you are having a tough time understanding my initial comment. thank you.

16. twitt3r macrumors 6502

Sorry if you are unable to articulate something in a manner that is comprehensible to anybody else. Either that, or you are just too scared to admit that I'm right.

17. bmms8 macrumors 68020

sheesh. youre so right. when paying $200 for hardware, you do not make a profit when selling that same piece of hardware for $400. thanks for the math lesson tw33t3r

18. twitt3r macrumors 6502

No, not when you lose $200 in that same time period relative to buying the phone outright in the first place and going sim-free. Like I have said, some people just fail to see the bigger picture...:rolleyes:

19. bmms8 macrumors 68020

are you kidding me? are you rambling on about nonsense, again?? dude, you have your situation, and i have my own situation. i do not want to buy a phone sim free. You cant apply your sim free life to everyone else. please just stop.

20. twitt3r macrumors 6502

So, you can't afford to buy a phone sim free, and use the subsidized price of the handset to convince yourself that you are making a profit?! LMFAO!

By way of example:

£120 up-front + £10 per month = £220 for the year
    Nothing up-front + £20 per month = £220 for the year

We both sell our phones at the end of the year for £60. By your twisted logic, you think you have made £60 profit because you paid nothing for your phone. Way to go... :rolleyes:

21. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

This is what I see is going on here.

HEY, I DISAGREE WITH YOUR ORIGINAL STATEMENT. LETS HAVE AN ARGUMENT ON THE INTERNET!

22. mc2thearson macrumors member

Just have to point this out... because all the threads these two have posted are just ramblings.

How many months are there though in a U.K. year?

£120 up-front + £10 per month = WOULD be £240 for the year
    Nothing up-front + £20 per month = WOULD be £240 for the year

Assuming of course that you're talking about a 12 month calendar year.

I just think it's funny when people start having an argument over the internet, need to try and drill it into someone's head that they're right, site examples to help make their point, and then make mistakes in their examples.

23. bmms8 macrumors 68020

Not only that, but the gentleman is comparing apples and oranges. I am not talking about my rate plan. I am simply stating that i pay $200 every year for my iphone and i then sell that phone for more than $200. I made it clear in my first post, "hardware"

Whether or not he posts anything, i wont. Ive made my simple statement very clear.

24. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

If the iPhone 5 comes in a 8, 32, and 64 GB flavor....

iPhone 5 8 GB: $199

iPhone 5 32 GB: $299

iPhone 5 64 GB: $399

(USA pricing)

This storage lineup would reflect the current iPod Touch. (The iTouch will of course morph into the form factor of the iPhone 5's when they are both unveiled together this fall.)

For a while I thought we'd see a 16/32/64 GB iPhone 5 lineup but now I'm thinking they will reflect the iTouch line storage wise.

My guess is that the iPhone 4S will be very cheap. 8 GB for $49 on a 2 year contract and 16 GB for $99. The 4S will be aimed at consumers looking to get an iPhone for as cheap as possible.

25. aoifeee macrumors member

I think there's a chance they could lower prices by a hundred dollars or something.