iPhone 5 question (unlocked and warranty swap)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AndrewR23, Sep 8, 2013.

1. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Hello, I have an iPhone 5 on AT&T under contract. I successfully unlocked it a few months ago with an unlock site.

The home button broke today, and my warranty ends in a few days. So if I replace it at the Apple store, do they give me an unlocked phone?

Saw answers of yes and no in Apple forum so figured I would ask here.

Thanks!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If it's not officially unlocked then I don't think so. Isn't there an official unlock you can do from your carrier?

3. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Not if your under contract. Ive read in here before that there is no way to tell how the phone was unlocked though.

4. komiothebeat macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

which carrier do you have? i know on AT&T's website there is a page on there that tell what circumstances you must be in to get an unlock done on your phone, and they need to overlook and make sure that you meet the requirements before they issue an unlock for your phone

5. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

i have already unlocked it through a imei unlock website

6. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

I got my AT&T iPhone unlocked through an IMEI unlock website replaced just last week and I was given an unlocked phone. (I use the phone on T-Mobile but when I put an AT&T SIM inside the phone to see if I got locked out, it supported the SIM just fine!)

The model number is NE489LL/A and it is the newer one with AWS support.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Well, if you didn't buy an unlocked phone then you shouldn't get an unlocked phone in return. The assumption I would make as the retailer is that if you got it unlocked then you could get it unlocked again. I would not hand you an official Apple unlocked phone if that isn't what you paid for previously. However, if you whine enough I suppose someone could give in and give you what you want.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, that's what usually happens.
    You should get an unlocked replacement also.