iPhone 5 Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by timek4, Oct 19, 2012.

1. timek4 macrumors newbie

timek4

Im going to the Florida in about a month, and I want to get the iPhone 5, as its much cheaper than here in Ireland. I know that the factory unlocked ones are not out in the US but i'll pick one of them up if they are out by the time I go.

But if worst comes to worst would there be anyway of me getting a iphone 5 from apple on contract? Dont really know how it works in the states, I do have a house in Florida or do I have to be a US citizen? And will I be charged each month or do I have to activate the sim and set up my plan? I want to use the IMEI unlock way if I were to do that( if its still out )

Thanks for any help in advance and sorry if its a stupid question :eek:

2. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

if you purchase an ATT one off contract you dont need anything. Ask the apple rep to ring it up via "easy pay" and "device only"

it will be unlocked

3. timek4 thread starter macrumors newbie

timek4

Is that the same as "no commitment" one from the ATT website?

4. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

i would assume. but as to whether or not att will ask for account info.. im not sure.

i think bestbuy and target will sell you one with no commitment as well.
    good luck when you are here.

oh yeah
    to get one on contract wont be easy without a drivers i.d. or social security number (they will say it requires one but in reality you dont have to submit one.. they can run the app without it) Its possible (entering a random (real) address a.. but they will slap you with a ridiculous deposit. $400-600+ dollars. no way of really telling. If some how you had $0 deposit.. then it would be cheaper to buy the phone on contract.. unlock via ebay seller ( unlock fusion) and pay the $350 ETF to att after to cancel the contract. Save a few bucks ($200+$350ETF) then paying the full $650 from apple. assuming it was the 16 gb

5. timek4 thread starter macrumors newbie

timek4

Thanks for the info, appreciate it! Maybe I should just go with the no commitment one just incase! But I do have neighbours which I am quite friendly with who are from florida, I could ask them to get one then cancel the contract?

6. Bruins Fan macrumors member

Bruins Fan

If you want to use the iPhone in Europe on LTE, you're better off with the Verizon model. It picks up more LTE bands than the AT&T model. In fact, it looks like only the VZW model picks up all the LTE bands being used in Europe.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

Almost forgot, the Verizon iPhone 5 is being sold unlocked.

7. BFizzzle, Oct 19, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2012

BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

no porblemo
    correct. they just have to wait until after 14 days to cancel.

I agree if you want LTE (unless ireleand uses the LTE bands as ATT). Only thing with verizon you can not activate it without a verizon contract. You can buy it off contract.. but it requires an account to activate.

8. timek4 thread starter macrumors newbie

timek4

I will be there for 3 weeks so I could do that. And AT&T won't take the phone back after its cancelled? Ireland is miles behind the US, were still using 3G and will be for a few more years haha

9. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

oh snap you guys have hspa+ at least right?
    . yeah att wont take it back. after the return window.

10. timek4 thread starter macrumors newbie

timek4

We do have hspa +. There meant to have LTE in this year, can't see it happening though. Would the IMEI unlock still work, or would the phone have a bad ESN? Or is that just with Verizon iPhones?

11. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

nope if you cancel the contract and pay the early termination fee. your esn will be clean. bad esns are for people who dont pay the bill. stolen etc. buttt from my understand the ESN only effects CDMA networks. So if one had an activated bad esn verizon. you could still use it on a GSM network since they are unlocked. someone correct me if i am wrong.

12. timek4 thread starter macrumors newbie

timek4

Sweet, thanks for all the info :D Helped me a lot!

13. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

not a problem