iPhone 5 RAM Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CoMoMacUser, Jan 20, 2013.

1. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

What are some tips for deciding whether to get a 16, 32 or 64 GB iPhone 5? I have a 64 GB iPad, but I wouldn't need all of its videos and apps on an iPhone.

My only other frame of reference is the amount of RAM and memory card usage on my Android phone. My needs and habits would be the same with the iPhone, so if I'm currently using XX GB across the RAM and SD card, is it reasonable to assume that that amount will be enough with the iPhone 5?

One more question: How much of the iPhone's RAM is available to users? For example, on the 16 GB model, how much is consumed by the OS?

Thanks.

2. vastoholic, Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2013

vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

The RAM is not what you're thinking of. That is a set amount across all iPhone models.

For a 16GB iPhone, I think you'll get about 14GB of real storage capacity, and for 32 it goes down all the way to almost 28GB of actual storage space. I'm not sure on a 64GB because I've never owned one. 32GB has always been a sweet spot for me. It's enough to store the music that I want for my daily drives. I store about 700 photos synced from my computer and about 3 or 4 games (that are about 1-2GB each as well. A few random 2-4 minute videos synced as well. I usually end up with about 1-2GB left of storage to download more photos and still have room for all my email accounts, short video shot with the phone, dropbox, etc.

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It ought to be about the same. Just remember that some apps are universal on the iPhone and will be larger than the same phone Google Play apps.

4. irDigital0l Guest

You get 16, 32, or 64GB of memory

The iPhone 5 has 1GB of RAM.

Different things.