Iphone 5 Redesign

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tmanto02, Jun 21, 2012.

1. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

I browsed the iPhone forum for the first time in months and I couldn't believe there was not one extensive iPhone 5 redesign thread, where we could all express our hopes, dreams and opinions on rumors. A similar thread to the "2012 MacBook Redesign" (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1101773).

So, on your marks, get set, go!

What should we expect?

2. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

I think everyones going to get worked up like before the iPhone 4S event; and Apple will troll is again and releas another 3.5" iPhone.

3. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

Not going to happen. if Apple was going to make a larger screen on the iPhone, they would've done it by now. They're clearly not interested

4. Sdahe macrumors 68000

Sdahe

I expect a totally new design for the iPhone 5... I'm just hoping that Apple will make a very nice and sexy looking phone for the next generation.

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

there are tons of threads discussing the iPhone 5 designs theories etc of course this is Mac Rumors after all. possible ideas bigger screen. Mini port, color options faster processor, better camera, liquid metal on and on we just don't have one titled Iphone 5 Redesign or we didn't I guess another argumemt is in faxt calling it the iPhone 5.

6. tmanto02 thread starter macrumors 65816

tmanto02

The iPhone 5 name is questionable yes. But for reference purposes lets leave it at that.

I must say though, I really hope these 'leaked' parts are not legit. The rear cover looks disgusting!

7. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

On the name, my guess is it will just be called "iPhone" from now on.

8. infinity12402 macrumors member

i just hope that it is in fact bigger, but that its evenly bigger, not just taller. other than that i dont really care what they do with it

9. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

Yea I don't like the idea of just making it taller. Seems rather pointless.

10. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I hate the idea of a stretched design. I am really against it. I think it's a bit of a cop out and more so I think it would be ugly, regardless of screen size. I have always been very firm on my position that the internal specs mean a lot more to me than how the phone looks, and I do stand by that, but this is the first time I have been truly disgusted by an apple design. If it is in fact even an apple design, which I think it may not be.

If they deliver on the camera like usual and bump the RAM, etc, then I can live with it- but I am really hoping for a total re-design or just sticking with the current design. The stretched design isn't getting any love from me.

11. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

Whatever Apple does, they'll make you love it. Any doubts about a/the redesign will just fade away on MacRumors like it does for every iPhone model.

12. hakuna-matata macrumors 6502

iphone 4s is tooooo heavy..make it reduce some weight, will ya??

13. tmanto02 thread starter macrumors 65816

tmanto02

I do agree that the competition is getting lighter but I honestly don't think that they need to. If they can make the chassis out of steel again I would be happy. The iPhone is actually a super strong phone (with the exception of glass front and back of course)

14. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

The revolution is over

Apple said they had 18 months in the redesigned iPhone 4. Come this fall it will have been 2 1/2 years. If all they do is a redesigned back and a vertically stretched screen (as seen by the leaks), it would appear they're pretty settled on the current design and are only tweaking it. Same for iOS. When you look at beautiful designs like the One X, it's sad that Apple is still staying with a 2 1/2 year old industrial design. The revolution is over, with only evolution to look forward to. And at a glacial speed.

15. PerfectDB macrumors regular

Unfortunatley I think you may be right. Just as with the Macs, Apple will keep with the essential design of the current iPhone going forward and only tweaking it as necessary, and it'll be the same for future iPads as well.

I fear we'll only see a radical redesign when new technologies come onboard (ie Liquid Metal), or if Apple decides to jump on the large screen bandwagon (which will never happen as iOS is not resolution independent).

16. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

It's interesting to consider at what point do these gradual and incremental improvements begin to collide with Apple's core message of always innovating and "thinking different."

17. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    At this point, it bears repeating that a major reason why Apple was able to leapfrog others in 2007 with the original iPhone, was not because they invented anything new, but because they had no legacy app code or small displays to support.

Now, five years later, Apple is in a similar boat. They have to tread more carefully in order not to upset current users.

I do believe that Apple has no choice but to start pushing developers in the direction of resolution independent apps, though.

-- As for the competition:

Microsoft was the first to realize they had to cut loose their legacy users, and they created Windows Phone to totally replace Windows Mobile.

RIM did not cut loose from all their old paradigms (I'm not sure they could at the time, even if they wanted to), and they're hurting. Perhaps their coming OS change will help.

--

It makes you wonder if the best idea is simply to say "Hey, each device type is good for a five year lifetime. After that, we're going to have to leap forward again. Deal with it."

18. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

I've wondered that too. Seems to be Apple's philosophy at least partially. And I'm fine with it...being an I.T. director, being OK with change is a big plus. :)

19. DIABLOW macrumors member

20. Sdahe macrumors 68000

Sdahe

The things I would like to have in the iPhone 5

1. Led light in the front so it can indicate if you have a new text message, voice mail or email.

2. Bigger screen - 4" would be fine for me.

3. Other colors besides white and black

21. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

Why is it too heavy? It's not like you get tired holding... Ever.

22. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Pretty sure the leaked parts are it. 16:9 4 inch screen, thinner, unibody. Keep the antennae on the outside to save maximum space on the inside for more battery.

23. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

No. The iPad isn't even 16:9 so why would they make the iPhone 16:9 and have to reformat all of their apps? Never going to happen and the screen will remain the same tiny little 3.5 inch.

24. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Why? Because they will advance their design. 16:9 transition will be easy enough. Just "letterbox" non-optimized apps. Like they do on iPad.

To be clear, 16:9 1136 X 640. Only the height changes.

25. hakuna-matata macrumors 6502

well, i migrated from android phones to iphone and as any other such person will confirm it, after using android phones for enough time, iphones feel as heavy as a brick. And yes my hand gets a bit strained after holding it in one hand for a long time while lying in bed..Hopefully, with increase in size and reduction in width, it would feel lighter(even if the weight remains same as now)