Iphone 5 replacement 209£

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DanJBS, Sep 15, 2014.

1. DanJBS macrumors member

Hi all,

I dropped my Iphone 5 and my screen broke the other day so I went to the Apple store to fix it and was told that a screen replacement costs 109£ and a phone replacement is 209£.
    I thought that was quite expensive as almost two years back I payed 140£ for an iPhone 4 replacement. I thought the iPhone 5 will now have the same price (now that the 6 is out),... knowing the age. Also when I replaced the 4, I was told that a 5 replacement would cost 179£.
    Does Apple have a new policy? iPhone 5, 5c and 5s all have the same price for replacements, which seems just a bit unfair as I payed the same for a three generations old phone as for a one year old iPhone. You can get a used 5 for around 209£ in the UK.

Anyway, I went for the replacement as when I dropped it, I got some marks on the case and I thought I might just get a new one with a new battery that will last longer. I'm also thinking of giving the 5 to my wife after I get the 6 so it's nicer for her to have a "new" phone.

2. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

But the iPhone 6 isn't technically out yet, which explains why the Out-Of-Warranty replacement cost hasn't gone down yet (plus Apple keeps raising the prices for OOW replacements).

In the U.S. it's still $269 for an iPhone 5 replacement as it has been for many months.

3. cperchard macrumors 6502a

I would have waited until next week and see if the price went down......since the 6 isn't actually out till Friday.....they may re-adjust the old handset prices!

4. Ayr macrumors 6502

Guys around here call out to your house and replace screens for £30. Do just as good a job as a bloke in an Apple store too.

We have Gumtree over here for stuff like that, maybe you got something similar too.

5. DanJBS thread starter macrumors member

I asked the guy at the store and he said that the prices will not change after Friday. :(

6. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

Never listen to a customer service rep. They know less than monkeys ;)

7. egraphixstudios macrumors 6502

egraphixstudios

You can DIY repair it- get a screen off ebay for £69 and fit it in yourself. its really easy.

8. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

He already went for the replacement.

9. DanJBS thread starter macrumors member

Haha, thanks, I'll know better next time.

The screen cracked quite bad and I thought maybe some layers underneath might have been affected.

This does seem to be quite a common problem. I see cracked screens all the time. I dropped mine a couple times before and nothing happened, I guess it must have been the angle this time.

10. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Yeah they seem to be intent on upping the price of the out of warranty repairs.

It used to be £139 flat rate, whichever model you had, but then they realised they could gouge people for a bit more on newer models. On the plus side though, they do offer MANY more component repairs than they used to (it used to be battery and vibrate motor only pretty much), so a full replacement is rarely needed.

11. cperchard macrumors 6502a

Yea unfortunately he's bound to say that cos he wants your money now.....may be true but i would have personally waited anyway to see if it did go down.