iPhone 5 replacement mess up

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by abstern, Oct 12, 2012.

1. abstern macrumors member

Before you read in detail, my basic question is this. I had an issue with my iPhone 5 that required multiple phone calls to successfully solicit a correct replacement. Apple has now sent me TWO iPhones, one that was 'applecare inspected' and another that is on the way from China. What should I do in order to ensure everything is sent to their proper place, and why was a replacement phone sent to me from China?

So, I was did the pickup from Apple Store deal the first night that it came live, and picked up my iPhone 5 in store on sept. 25th. Upon unboxing it and inspecting it, I noticed that it had the nicks everyone was mentioning, along with a chip on the screen. It wasn't major, but it would stop your fingernail if you ran your nail over it. Upon talking to the genius bar staff, they said that they could not replace it, but if I had any issues with the phone, they would not attribute it to the damage on the phone out of the box, deeming it 'cosmetic damage.'

I go on my merry way out of the Apple store, and purchase a zagg screen cover, and an incase slider case to protect the phone. Over the next week or two, the Zagg screen kept warping and bubbling, and it all seemed to originate from the chip! So, I talked to Apple on the phone and said it was very noticeable, and as the chip was significant enough to warp the screen protector, I figured any drop would make the screen much more susceptible to cracking due to the chip. Upon making my claim, they agreed to send me a replacement phone. I received an email sometime later saying that it would be shipped to an address, but not the correct one. I then called back to change the address, which took about 20 minutes and two representatives. I received an email saying that the address was corrected, but shortly after received a phone call saying that I would need to mail in my phone first. I use my phone for almost everything relating to my schedule and contacts, so this was unacceptable. I called back later and spoke to a supervisor, and told them I could just exchange at my local apple store if that was easier, but they said they would just send me a replacement, which I received today. I switched out my iPhone with the replacement, which was absolutely perfect, and figured everything was over.

Around 11pm tonight, I received an email saying that my iPhone had shipped! This would be great, if I had put my iPhone in the mail already! Unfortunately, this was a DIFFERENT iPhone, and now I'm not really sure what to do! I have a hold from Apple on my bank account for $820, which doesn't make much sense considering the iPhone 5 replacement costs $750, so I am not sure where to account for the other $70. So, what would you guys recommend? Obviously I plan on calling customer support as soon as possible, but I really don't want this process to go on for longer than necessary. Thanks in advance!

-Stern

2. LoloBond macrumors 6502

All I can tell you is... I wish you luck... I got 3 phones retail box from china all with problems. Right now I'm on the 3rd and it has a chip on the screen just like you describe. Also I have called 3 times to get a shipping label for the second unit and nothing, I even spoke to a supervisor, today I called all my RMA are closed. I will try one more time if they don't send it I have an extra iPhone. I'm going to the store first thing in the morning to see if I can change my black one for a white one. =/ Never had this problem with Apple before. I guess there is always a first. Anyways like a said before.. Good luck!

3. abstern thread starter macrumors member

Well, the phone that I received day was perfect, albeit having a minor scratch on the back. I checked the serial number and it's a week 38 32gb black. My old phone is in the box all ready to be dropped off at fedex, but I'm not sure what I should do! I figure I can mail my old phone back with the fedex return slip and box provided, and then just take the one that was shipped today straight to the apple store for a return.