iPhone 5 replacement phones at Genius Bar

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bjcskier, Oct 18, 2012.

1. bjcskier macrumors member

Are iPhones swapped at the genius bar generally coming out of their hard plastic cases (you know, the ones they bring out from the back that just have the phone in them) perfect?

Or are some of these coming out with imperfections as well?

Going to swap a 32GB black Verizon phone in a little while and I'm curious as to how they are handling it. My original phone came out of the box slightly dented and with 2 nicks.

2. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

Are you asking about the white box replacements? If so, I got mine through Fed Ex (first one had a faulty earpiece) and mine was flawless cosmetically.

3. VandyChem2009 macrumors 6502a

VandyChem2009

Some are still coming out with imperfections. If you get a crappy one just ask to be given another. Just make sure the Genius is around.

4. bjcskier thread starter macrumors member

What is the difference between the white box replacements and the hard black boxes they normally use? Can you guys give a quick 2-second overview?

5. VandyChem2009 macrumors 6502a

VandyChem2009

They are the same thing. In the past they used black boxes now they use white ones.

6. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

they have stopped using the plastic boxes when giving exchanges....they are now made of cardboard and coloured black for black iPhones and white for white iPhones.

7. Jinzen macrumors 6502

Not at all perfect.

Went through 5 or 6 swaps, not counting the ones the Genius tosses aside from cosmetic blemishes.

- Dead pixel on one
    - Flickering screen
    - Rainbow screen (polarizer issue?)
    - Non-functional WiFi

8. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Same exact thing. I had to replace mine for a faulty home button. The replacement was brand new.

9. VandyChem2009 macrumors 6502a

VandyChem2009

I don't think the color of the iPHone really matters. A youtube video shows a guy getting a black iPhone in a white box.

10. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

where's the video?

11. VandyChem2009, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2012

VandyChem2009 macrumors 6502a

VandyChem2009

12. EdwardSung macrumors regular

Right, my black iPhone replacement came in a white box.

13. Defender2010, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2012

Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

14. VandyChem2009 macrumors 6502a

VandyChem2009

You obviously asked for the video because you didn't believe what I said.

15. bjcskier thread starter macrumors member

It kills me that there is still a lot of home button variation with the phones as well. Some home buttons are sunk/angled etc. others are raised higher than most, etc.

They need to figure that out in addition to coming up with a more practical material on the outside that isn't so easily-damaged in the manufacturing process and afterward.

16. zman98 macrumors member

I went in yesterday to try and swap my white phone for a black phone. I assumed they had some "replacement" stock in back. The guy at the front of the store said I need to bring box, cables, etc. back and they will exchange if they have new stock (retail packaging).

Should I have asked if they have replacement stock? I didn't push the issue because I wasn't aware they had stock in back that isn't in retail packaging.

17. VandyChem2009 macrumors 6502a

VandyChem2009

They only replace like for like. You can't get a new color or bigger/small capacity with a replacement white box phone.

18. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

No, I asked because I wanted to see it and couldn't be bothered searching! :p
    Whilst it was a black in a white box, we are talking about the Genius Bar here, not AppleCare replacements! In the stores, it's black in black, white in white.

19. VandyChem2009 macrumors 6502a

VandyChem2009

Doubtful, but I don't have a video for that.

20. lamenramen macrumors regular

I went through 4 exchanges before settling on one. And it still had a chip in it.
    These white box phones, I have changed my tune, are still new at this point. But the defect rate is astoundingly high. So high, in fact, that it would be better for these phones to be refurbished. If this is what the new defect rate is, the refurbished rate might be even worse. It may be possible that Apple states that the chips and dings are OK to recycle as is (though they claim that they are stripped down). I've seen the apple staff refer to it as a minor cosmetic blemish when returning phones back to Apple. I think that Apple, if I were them, might just wait and resell them as refurbished since I believe that in the warranty it will say that refurbished items may have minor nicks and signs of use.

I should have asked for a fifth replacement but getting one with a good screen is fine enough for me. I don't care about the rest, and yes, it took that many replacements to get an iphone with a screen that I deemed acceptable.

phone 1 had 3 specks of dirt and a fingerprint, and ?wifi issues but I can't prove that. Also interlacing issue.
    phone 2 had a faulty digitizer, and it was subtle but on a replacement the difference is apparent, and a squishy rippling screen b/c of a loose volume button. Also interlacing issue.
    phone 3 had a piss yellow screen at the NE quadrant, as well as the interlacing issue (fuzzy/graininess), as well as a chip in the aluminum. Not a scratch, by any definition.
    phone 4 has a scratch on the aluminum on the chamfeur bezel. But a white screen, without interlacing. Fine. I just took it and left.

21. zman98 macrumors member

Thanks for the info. I'll just wait and see if they get any inventory. If not, I'll be happy with my white phone. :)

22. bjcskier thread starter macrumors member

Just went to my local store and tried TWO different replacements. Both had scratches and one had roughness around the top left edge of the screen.

Apple should be embarassed that they are delivering MILLIONS of their flagships product with imperfections. It's absolutely absurd.