iPhone 5 - replacing the back plate - impossible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gwelmarten, Sep 21, 2012.

1. gwelmarten macrumors 6502

Hi
    Just seen the iFixit teardown of the iPhone 5 and something strikes me. Isn't the back piece of the phone glass at the top and bottom of the aluminium piece? i.e. aluminium with glass on either side of it? This piece doesn't look replaceable - so if you smash it you can't repair it?

Thoughts on this?

Also, does anybody have any idea what a replacement screen is going to cost?

Sam

2. robotphood macrumors 6502a

I would like to know as well. They didn't show anything about the back.

3. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

All previous versions of the front plate were $99 from what I remember.

I'm sure the glass is replaceable, but it will require a complete teardown, beyond what even the likes of iFixit have done so far.

4. robotphood macrumors 6502a

"The back of the iPhone 5 is a back case. It is virtually the entire iPhone, so will be among the hardest iPhone procedures. At least there is no bezel to figure out how to remove and transfer."

5. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

As with the retina MBP, recent trends indicate that it's highly likely only Apple can service the iPhone 5.

While it's not my first choice, I've decided that one way to enjoy the damaged (2nd) iP5 I have is to think of it like an old Nokia or other garden variety used phone. I'll slap a case on it and chalk it up to what Apple would call "progress".

In the mean time I take solace knowing I'll dump it next year & try again. In this case the expression "it's only a phone" is very appropriate. :)