iPhone 5 reservation, activation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by serialtoon, Oct 3, 2012.

1. serialtoon macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

I have a reservation that I will be picking up in about an hour or so. My question is that will I have to activate the phone using the included sim card? Or can I use the on in my current phone? Reason I ask is because I upgraded the line with an iPhone 5 but the line is my girlfriends line. Although it is in my name, she is happy with her 4S And doesn't need the upgrade. Yes I am aware of the nano sim. I will be trimming my micro sim to nano sim.

2. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Are you guys on the same plan? They might just be able to do a device swap and switch the activation and whatnot to your line.

Not sure about just cutting you SIM down though, curious to know as well.

3. Jdsolid1 macrumors newbie

I know that they have to activate the phone when you buy it at the subsidized price. So hopefully they can do the upgrade swap to your phone using your girlfriends upgrade.

If they cant, once they activate the new phone on your girlfriends line then her phone will be disabled. Go to the nearest ATT (or whatever carrier you use) and ask them to disable sim in the new iphone and get a new sim for your girlfriends line (old sims cant be reactivated and they will give you a sim for free). At that point her phone will be good to go and all you have to do is have them activate the new iphone on your line (they will also have to give you a new sim for the new iphone because the one in the new iphone will be no good after they deactivated from your girlfriends line).

Hope that makes since. After reading it back it seems like alot but it really isnt that bad. I kinda did the same thing but wasnt looking to keep the new iphone (wanted to sell it).

4. romeo0119 macrumors 6502

I dunno but I just picked mine up and they transfer the service from the old to the new one at the store, the freaking guy just open my phone without even asking me, that pisses me off, now my gf old iPhone wont work and I won't see her for a couple of days, wtf is that

5. serialtoon thread starter macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

OK I picked up the iPhone. As expected, her line shut off. I'm gonna visit att to get a new micro sim