iPhone 5 - Return or Sell?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kevroc, Sep 24, 2012.

1. kevroc macrumors 6502

Hello all,

Well, after a few days with the iPhone 5 I'm not that impressed with it. Not even to lock into AT&T for 2 more years anyway. My battery life is just horrible (when using LTE) and I'm missing my 5.1.1 with Jailbreak. With the iPhone 5 I was really hoping for a bigger screen so that the text could be a little larger (it's an age thing :) and wanted LTE. I've tried a myriad of LTE devices over the last year or so and they all were horrible with battery life save for the Razr Maxx which was quite good. Anyhow, was quite excited seeing the quoted battery life from the press event, but had doubts seeing how thin it was. I would have preferred the same thickness and put a bigger battery in there. Also wish they would've gone a little wider on the screen as well. But that's not the case and I find I like my 4S just as much.

So now onto how do I undo this? I need to call AT&T and see if I can get them to transfer service back to my old sim? Then I need to return or sell the 5. Any suggestions? Don't know if Apple charges a restocking fee or not, but I'm hoping the transition back is a smooth one.

Thanks!

2. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

Turn off LTE then and some useless push notifications.

3. kevroc thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, tried that. Ran on 4G all day Sunday, battery life was better but the 4G speeds on AT&T in my area are pretty bad, can't hardly stream anything and it's just really slow on web pages etc. And if I take LTE out of the equation it makes the iPhone 5 even less attractive.

4. johnothy macrumors regular

johnothy

I love the speed of the phone in general and Verizon LTE is fast. The battery is dropping fast on LTE. I'm going to try running it on 3G tomorrow to compare.

Like the OP, I too am missing my jail broken iOS 5.1.1. I'm still evaluating for now.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're not happy with it, then return it. While you could sell it, you would have used up your upgrade and you're locked into a 2 year contract without the ability to upgrade

6. concernedone macrumors 6502

concernedone

I don't think Apple have a restocking fee. AT&T might tho!
    Right now, I have the 4 and I agree with you on a larger screen. For me it's so much more comfortable to read on a larger screen (it's not an age thing for me.) The iPad works for me in that category.

what phone are you planning to get to replace this phone?

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Did you restore as new already?

8. kevroc thread starter macrumors 6502

I was just going to go back to my iPhone 4S.

----------

No, restored from my previous iPhone 4S backup. I have too many apps/data/settings to start over as new.

9. BrandonZ macrumors 6502

10. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I've read that a restore as new has cured some battery issues. Both on the 4S and on the 5. Sometimes there might be a bad setting or some sort of bad code when you restore from a back up off your iTunes. Try backing up to iCloud and then restoring from there so you don't lose your settings.

11. kevroc thread starter macrumors 6502

That's great news. I ordered online, but can't return online, it says you have to call. Tried the # and was on hold for a little while and decided to try again later. Would rather return then sell, so that's great news, thanks for posting.

12. ek9max macrumors regular

I've had my iphone since launch day. Took a few days. But now my battery life is great!

I ran it down to 1% last night and let it charge until the morning. I guess the battery needed to be calibrated.

13. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

At least take the time and try a new install vs old. It very well may cure your problem.

If you ordered online you cannot return in store, you have to send it back.

14. chrise2 macrumors 6502

Geesh. You shouldn't give up on something so fast. And if you do, you probably shouldn't be buying things the first day they're released. Give it more time, try a few different things. Same thing happened last time with battery life. Apple came out with some updates that made things much better. I'm sure they'll come out with a jailbreak soon if you're into that sort of thing.

But if you don't like the screen size. Well, I guess you should have paid better attention to the announcement. :)

15. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

I just return mine to att $35 charged but better then dealing with craigslist people

16. mzdameena macrumors newbie

I've returned mine today too! So disappointed with the iphone 5!!!

17. Lindenhurst macrumors 6502a

My sons phone came and he likes it. To me it seems small, but I am used to another device with a larger screen. I always liked the feel of the IP4 and still feel that the glass is much better than aluminum because if you dent or scratch it, you are stuck with it. With the glass you could replace the rear glass for a small cost.

I love apple products but sometimes I think they change things just to change them. Look at the last generation Nano. It was so small that it was difficult to use, and not they made them bigger again.

The IP5 looks nice but to me it didn't offer enough to bring me back to Apple. Maybe next year.
    Seems like in the past Apple had features no one else had, and now they simply do not.

18. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

Sounds like you have a couple of issues:

1) Battery power

for me has been better than every with the iPhone 5. Maybe you should exchange the phone if the battery is defective.

2) LTE slow....can't stream.

That sounds like an issue with AT&T/service in your area. I can't speak to the LTE speeds on AT&T since I moved to Verizon, but the iPhone5 is lightning fast on Verizons LTE.

Might be rash to just return phone when so many people are having the exact opposite experience with their phones.