iPhone 5 says "No Sim Detected" after recharge

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rangrbob, Sep 27, 2012.

1. rangrbob macrumors member

For two days straight now I get the above message from my phone after it recharges. I plug it in at about 2% and when I come back or in the morning it won't register the sim. Thankfully it sees it after I shut it off and back on. Has anyone had this happen before? Any ideas?

2. rangrbob, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012

rangrbob thread starter macrumors member

So it happened again when I woke up Friday morning. When I got to work I figured I would take out the sim and see if it may have been the issue. When I took it out I had to clean out a bit of white gunk from the sim card tray. It had never been opened since I got it. When I put it back in it did not read the sim at all no matter how many times I reset it. Finally I popped the sim out one more time and rebooted the phone. This time the phone saw the sim and I was able to use the phone the rest of the day. After putting it on the charger like before I did not get the error message again. Hopefully this has resolved my problem. Called apple about it and they had not heard of the issue. So hopefully it was a one off occurrence. If it happens again I will replace it. It's too annoying having to reboot the phone every time I charge it.

3. Need4spd28 macrumors newbie

This is a common problem from what I understand. I too have experienced it twice. A new SIM from AT&T is said to fix the problem. I have a Genius Bar appointment today too just in case.