iPhone 5: Scratch Issues Resolved?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by forrestwhite, Oct 22, 2012.

1. forrestwhite macrumors newbie

forrestwhite

Hey forum members,

As you all know the iPhone 5 has been found to be more prone to scratches, often times so much so that it is found to be scratched right out of the box.

I've been reading lately (links below) that Apple has worked with FoxConn to correct the scratching issue. I'm wondering two things:

1) Does anyone know if Apple is fixing the underlying reason the device becomes scratched easily? Or are they only fixing the issues at the factory that led to the device being scratched right out of the box?

2) If Apple is fixing the underlying reason the device becomes scratched so easily (such as fixing the way they finish the back plate), when can we expect these new batches of phones to hit the market?

Many thanks!
    FW

Source Links:
    http://bgr.com/2012/10/10/iphone-5-scratches-scuffs-production-yield/
    http://www.applesheet.com/apple-slows-iphone-5-production-to-fix-scratching-issue/

2. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

As far as i understand it foxconn have employed quality control managers to police the production lines to ensure despatched finished iphone 5's are in pristine condition.

Apple have already said that the phones antenna band will mark up with use and thats normal.

My iphone 5 came out of the box in pristine condition and i use a bumper on it now.
    Not to stop any marking up but to increase grip.

3. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

they are doing the part I bolded

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

This is how much we know:

5. forrestwhite thread starter macrumors newbie

forrestwhite

Thanks guys. I assumed they were only curing the symptom and not the cause. :mad:

6. gentlefury macrumors 68030

7. Noisemaker Guest

There's not really a "cause" to fix. The 5 is aluminum, and if you're rough with it, it'll dent and scuff. Most people are rough with their devices, so you see damage on their phones.

As for the damaged out of the box argument, I don't really buy it. Everyone I've talked to has received a pristine phone - myself included.

I think that, as usual, fanatics have made a big deal out of nothing. Aluminum scratches easier than glass, sure. But it's not like it's going to end up damaged if you're careful with your phone.

8. noobinator macrumors 601

Despite the higher wages than most other jobs in China, I really feel for the Foxconn people. I can't imagine what they have to go through.

9. duneriderltr450 macrumors 6502

duneriderltr450

Mine came nicked out of the box on the screen edge right above the chamfer. It doesn't bother me that much as I have a case on it. But no doubt about it, there are definitely phones out there that are damaged out of the box.

10. Cripps macrumors regular

Yes but it is a lot better than the village / farming life they came from.
    If you travel into rural China you will understand why these people queue up to get jobs like tose at FoxConn.