iPhone 5 scratch on the backside of bezel

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Paulshaqz, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Paulshaqz macrumors 6502a

i know theres a whole bunch of threads on this and i apologize but i just wanna get your guys take on this i just got a brand new iphone 5 last week and loving it i honestly love it naked but decided to add a case on it but didn't like it i had the belkin grip candy sheer, and just noticed a scratch on the back side of the bezel now i know most of u said it's gonna scratch without a case but in this one the case done it since it wasn't there at all, so my question to u guys is should i try and give it back and get a replacement? or just keep it but so far the screen is perfect and there is no yellow tint or anything and i'm affraid of getting that if i get a replacement.

hears a pic thanks in adavance for reading.

Attached Files:

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

seriously? first off, its barely anything. the phone didnt come that way, you caused it. is there any honesty left in this world? suck it up and live with it. the phone is going to get more scratched eventually anyways. the amount of people on this forum that want to return their phones, over small scratches THEY caused is appalling.

3. Paulshaqz thread starter macrumors 6502a

its true it ain't that bad but i can see in a cupple months wear n tear not less then a week just saying.

4. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

5. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

you caused the wear in a week, its not like the anodized coating was defective. put it in a case and call it a day if youre concerned about scratching it.

6. zmagik macrumors regular

Come on i have a few scratches on my iphone 5 and just call it a day its going to get damadged anyway so yeh:apple:

7. mjpearce023 macrumors 6502

If you don't want to use a case then I would touch it up. I’ve used this touch up pen and it works pretty well. It will rub off eventually though but it’s pretty easy to touch up again. I got the glossy to touch up the edge and it blended really well.

http://www.amazon.com/Birchwood-Casey-Super-Black-Touch/dp/B004WHANTA

8. MVRL macrumors regular

MVRL

you want a replacement because you caused the scratch? what is this? Murrica!

oops, let me translate this for you..

eww vvunt a reeplaysmant beecose eww cohsed the scraech? wat iz thes? Murrica!

9. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

The case scratched the phone so you want to replace the phone??

Wouldn't it make more sense to replace the crappy case? :confused:

10. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

dude. seriously? its a black iphone. its gonna scratch and be noticable. just live with it. its the back of the phone too...

11. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Why you blaming Apple?

They didn't make you buy some plastic piece of crap to cover their beautifully engineered metal phone.

Go see what Belkin has to say. And they'll tell you this:

If you insist on covering your beautiful metal Apple iPhone with our crapy plasticsware. Make sure the inside is clean of grit that won't act like sand paper and scratch the anodised finish.

They'll also tell you that even if it was clean of grit. Grit will still get in as its not exactly sealed. :cool:

12. Bugeyeblue macrumors 6502a

Bugeyeblue

Best post all day.

13. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Can I exchange your original post for one with a period or two?

14. CTay macrumors member

No doubt..... What the crap man...:eek:

15. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

My goddamn truck is scratched. What should I do?

17. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Buff it out :p

18. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Take it back to the dealer and tell them it shouldn't scratch that easy and demand they give you a new one. If they don't rant around town saying you will never buy brand X of truck again!

OP, if this is what consumes your life, I suggest you made radical changes immediately. Go visit sick children in a hospital, go feed people at a homeless shelter, something.

19. barkomatic macrumors 68040

It clearly bothers you -- so exchange it while its still in the return window. Just be honest with the person you work with at Apple. Keep in mind that its well documented that black iPhones are easy to scratch even within cases so its likely you'll have this same problem eventually.

To those who are on a soapbox about how the world will be thrown into chaos if the OP does this--remember that the scratches are completely visible. If the Apple employee accepts it for return/exchange then its simply a customer service action -- and doesn't require us all to go into our nuclear bunkers in the back yard and prepare for the four horsemen to arrive.

20. Paulshaqz thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not returning it like I said it was just your thoughts as I can see most of u are edgy about it I don't like cases so yes it's gonna be naked whatever happends happends wear n tear I get it I realized if I had dead pixels or a yellow tint when it gets warm would be my issue for a return that would be more important.

21. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

In with the op that the black scratches too easily. I don't care what the excuses are, I don't feel it should scratch like that. If the paint on my car start wearing, even in higher friction areas such as wheel wells or door handles, I'd be pissed too.

That said, apple isn't going to replace the thing. It's best to cut your losses. I would be a bit more forgiving if you didn't know of this issue, but you state you did, so it's tough to take your side.

----------

I do recommend you look into zagg, ghost armor, or some other such body protection for the phone if you want to stay naked but are worried about scratches.

22. Paulshaqz thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm stating it because before the case it wasn't there I didn't realize it until I felt the harder rubber on the sides and it seemed like the only idea where it came from i don't care what anyone ses if its naked and in my pocket it would be in perfect condition but hay Crap happends all the time hell everyday yes it's a big disappointment on apple for not double coating it or whatever but that still doesn't make me less of a fan.

23. itjw macrumors 65816

If I drag my phone across the concrete ten minutes after I buy it it doesn't change the fact that I did it, even if I can't "see" that kind of damage happening for a couple months...

It's a PHONE. You damaged it accidently. It happens. Either use AC+ if you bought it, or pay the $229 and get a refurb if it bothers you THAT much, but don't blame Apple for your negligence. It was an accident, but that in NO way makes it Apple's fault.

You can't live with it? Fine. They have plenty of options for your negligence, none of which should be free (and they aren't, thankfully).

24. nancyfromafrica macrumors member

new products will get old sooner or later, you should not be too much worried about a few scratches just put some wax or oil and forget the stains.

25. Sean76 macrumors 6502

Sean76

Why are you guys so harsh on the OP?

Honestly maybe Apple should make they're products a little bit better and issues like this wouldn't arise. The Black iphone 5 is basically one of the worst built phones on earth when it comes to wear and tear build quality. It's probably the easist phone to date to scratch. And god only knows how many people experienced scratches out of the box.

Sorry guys...phones shouldn't scratch that easy from a case being on the phone. The OP gets a case to protect the phone and instead the phone gets scratched from the case. Someone please explain the logic here?