Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone 5 SCRATCHGATE poll

Is your iphone 5's aluminum housing easily getting scratched after some days of use??

• Yes !! After some weeks of normal use it is unacceptably scratched !!

Votes: 25 16.7%
  • Just a little !! After some weeks of use and some falls it is barely scratched !!

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Not at all !! This phone is highly resistant to scratches and perfectly usable without a case !!

Votes: 99 66.0%

• Total voters

pedrofan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Is your iphone 5's aluminum housing easily getting scratched after some days of use??

Case 1:

Case2:

Case 3

Last edited:

iAi

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2012
I just dropped my over a week old naked iP5 about 3 feet high on a ceramic tile at Starbucks - no scratch, no ding, no scuff damage. Felt like my heart stopped beating for few seconds! :eek:

Comment

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca

That picture is inaccurate and does not accurately portray the "issue".

That phone did not "easily" get scratched, the user who took the photo went to an AT&T store and forcefully scratched an iPhone demo unit using his car keys.

But to answer your question, No.

Comment

pedrofan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
That picture is inaccurate and does not accurately portray the "issue".

That phone did not "easily" get scratched, the user who took the photo went to an AT&T store and forcefully scratched an iPhone demo unit using his car keys.

But to answer your question, No.

It is a little bit dramatic, but it represents the worst scenario. If you are using your iphone 5 without a case and it doesn't have ANY scratch just answer the poll with the third answer. I made it to have an statistic idea of the housing hardness.

Comment

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
It is a little bit dramatic, but it represents the worst scenario. If you are using your iphone 5 without a case and it doesn't have ANY scratch just answer the poll with the third answer. I made it to have an statistic idea of the housing hardness.

If you rub the **** out of any phone with car keys it's going to get damaged:rolleyes:

Comment

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Why do problems with Apple products end in "-gate"? iPod shuffle no-buttons-gate? Ping total-s***-gate? iMac G5 overall-terribly-unreliable-computer-gate?

Comment

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
I just dropped my over a week old naked iP5 about 3 feet high on a ceramic tile at Starbucks - no scratch, no ding, no scuff damage. Felt like my heart stopped beating for few seconds! :eek:

I dropped my TI-84 a few days ago. It wouldn't turn on after that. Thank goodness it was just the batteries that just happened to swell up and stop working. It still works :)

I also dropped my iPhone 4, but with a bumper case and a screen protector, it was fine.

----------

From the old Nixon administration days . . . Watergate.

So bad products are related to Watergate? That's not really relevent. Watergate was a scandal, not a large accidental mistake made on a product. Now I'm all for getting rid of the "-gate" suffix.

Comment

skidbubble

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2010
I say keep the "-gate" issues coming. It draws attention to the issues. No need to hide things, sweep them under the rug and pretend they don't exist.

Comment

pedrofan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Perspective:

Reality

OCD iPhone User

I have edited it. Is it ok now? I guess that if you say that that picture is "reality" the right answer is that it gets barely scratched. And not the third option.

Last edited:
Comment

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
I have edited it. Is it ok now? I guess that if you say that that picture is "reality" the right answer is that it gets barely scratched. And not the third option.

As soon as the iPhone 5 was released all the sudden Apple had a "quality control" issue and people act as if this is some new phenomenon, where were these complaints during the first generation iPod touch with its Tin Metal backplate or generation 2-4 with its Stainless Steel backplate that scratched just by looking at it. After 5 years Apple finally changed the back to aluminum.

Same can be said for the 1st generation iPod nano, the iPod 5th generation (with video) or White MacBook's. Talk about scratches, these devices were like magnets.

Comment

cperchard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
I've got 2 very very little scuff marks.....and all i do with it is put in jeans pocket with a soft wallet, and leave it on soft surface at work.....bit disappointed really, not too bothered with the way it looks now as long as it stays the same.....i'm just worried what it's gonna be like in 6 months time.....even if i treat it with 100% care........although i don't use a case, cos that's just defeating the object of its awesome appearance!

Comment

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK
I've got 2 very very little scuff marks.....and all i do with it is put in jeans pocket with a soft wallet, and leave it on soft surface at work.....bit disappointed really, not too bothered with the way it looks now as long as it stays the same.....i'm just worried what it's gonna be like in 6 months time.....even if i treat it with 100% care........although i don't use a case, cos that's just defeating the object of its awesome appearance!

Same.

Four days in and two tiny scratches/chips, tbh I wouldn't have noticed if wasn't for scratchgate, but I don't want to be spending the next year or so babying this phone.:eek:

Although, I do have a thin tpu case on order.

Comment

ZacT94

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
I have a very small scratch on the edge near the volume buttons. It is barely noticeable and can be easily hidden.

Comment

Breitling65

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2011
Is it why people are spending another $15 for case? I got mine for free from Amazon since I have points, perfect fit. Ghost Armor for $20 will protect top. So?

Comment

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
I've used my black one since release day without a case and not a single scratch, scuff or mark on it. Seems very durable to me.

Comment

sandwicher

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
I used my black iPhone naked since September 21 (DAY1 of launch).

All was perfect until yesterday.

No drops. No knocks. I keep the phone in my pocket with no keys and coins(those are in another pocket). The phone was the only object in my pocket (as always).

And then I saw the scratch today. I have no idea why.... It is with normal use. And my phone became scratched? A phone is suppose to at least withstand normal usage right? :( I'm an apple fan.... But this upsets me a lot.

Sure, anodizing is susceptible to scuffs. Aluminium is malleable. But that doesn't give apple the excuse to dish out such a phone with weak durability right? Those answers are scientific reasons, but not business reasons. :(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 198
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.