iPhone 5 SCRATCHGATE poll

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pedrofan, Oct 10, 2012.

?

Is your iphone 5's aluminum housing easily getting scratched after some days of use??

1. Yes !! After some weeks of normal use it is unacceptably scratched !!

25 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Just a little !! After some weeks of use and some falls it is barely scratched !!

26 vote(s)
    17.3%
  3. Not at all !! This phone is highly resistant to scratches and perfectly usable without a case !!

99 vote(s)
    66.0%
  1. pedrofan, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012

pedrofan macrumors 6502

Is your iphone 5's aluminum housing easily getting scratched after some days of use??

Case 1:
    [​IMG]

Case2:
    [​IMG]

Case 3
    [​IMG]

2. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

Where is the poll?

either way...mine is not scratched at all

3. iAi macrumors 6502

I just dropped my over a week old naked iP5 about 3 feet high on a ceramic tile at Starbucks - no scratch, no ding, no scuff damage. Felt like my heart stopped beating for few seconds! :eek:

4. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Poll is missing. But no, still looks brand new.

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

That picture is inaccurate and does not accurately portray the "issue".

That phone did not "easily" get scratched, the user who took the photo went to an AT&T store and forcefully scratched an iPhone demo unit using his car keys.

But to answer your question, No.

6. pedrofan thread starter macrumors 6502

It is a little bit dramatic, but it represents the worst scenario. If you are using your iphone 5 without a case and it doesn't have ANY scratch just answer the poll with the third answer. I made it to have an statistic idea of the housing hardness.

7. B's iPhone macrumors regular

B's iPhone

8. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

If you rub the **** out of any phone with car keys it's going to get damaged:rolleyes:

9. faroZ06 macrumors 68040

faroZ06

Why do problems with Apple products end in "-gate"? iPod shuffle no-buttons-gate? Ping total-s***-gate? iMac G5 overall-terribly-unreliable-computer-gate?

10. pedrofan thread starter macrumors 6502

Not with my iphone 4s. I never got a scratch like that even carrying it with keys.

11. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

12. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

From the old Nixon administration days . . . Watergate.

13. faroZ06 macrumors 68040

faroZ06

I dropped my TI-84 a few days ago. It wouldn't turn on after that. Thank goodness it was just the batteries that just happened to swell up and stop working. It still works :)

I also dropped my iPhone 4, but with a bumper case and a screen protector, it was fine.

----------

So bad products are related to Watergate? That's not really relevent. Watergate was a scandal, not a large accidental mistake made on a product. Now I'm all for getting rid of the "-gate" suffix.

14. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

That's not the point I'm making ffs. The point was that they DUG keys into the back of the phone. DERP.

15. skidbubble macrumors 6502

I say keep the "-gate" issues coming. It draws attention to the issues. No need to hide things, sweep them under the rug and pretend they don't exist.

16. pedrofan, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012

pedrofan thread starter macrumors 6502

I have edited it. Is it ok now? I guess that if you say that that picture is "reality" the right answer is that it gets barely scratched. And not the third option.

17. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

As soon as the iPhone 5 was released all the sudden Apple had a "quality control" issue and people act as if this is some new phenomenon, where were these complaints during the first generation iPod touch with its Tin Metal backplate or generation 2-4 with its Stainless Steel backplate that scratched just by looking at it. After 5 years Apple finally changed the back to aluminum.

Same can be said for the 1st generation iPod nano, the iPod 5th generation (with video) or White MacBook's. Talk about scratches, these devices were like magnets.

18. cperchard macrumors 6502a

I've got 2 very very little scuff marks.....and all i do with it is put in jeans pocket with a soft wallet, and leave it on soft surface at work.....bit disappointed really, not too bothered with the way it looks now as long as it stays the same.....i'm just worried what it's gonna be like in 6 months time.....even if i treat it with 100% care........although i don't use a case, cos that's just defeating the object of its awesome appearance!

19. MacUser09 macrumors regular

No case, but I just put a protective film on back and front.
    Touch wood, all ok so far.

20. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

Same.

Four days in and two tiny scratches/chips, tbh I wouldn't have noticed if wasn't for scratchgate, but I don't want to be spending the next year or so babying this phone.:eek:

Although, I do have a thin tpu case on order.

21. ZacT94 macrumors regular

I have a very small scratch on the edge near the volume buttons. It is barely noticeable and can be easily hidden.

22. NM08SRT8 macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

Did not catch the layers of sarcasm?

:rolleyes:

23. Breitling65 macrumors 6502

Is it why people are spending another $15 for case? I got mine for free from Amazon since I have points, perfect fit. Ghost Armor for $20 will protect top. So?

24. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

I've used my black one since release day without a case and not a single scratch, scuff or mark on it. Seems very durable to me.

25. sandwicher macrumors member

I used my black iPhone naked since September 21 (DAY1 of launch).

All was perfect until yesterday.

No drops. No knocks. I keep the phone in my pocket with no keys and coins(those are in another pocket). The phone was the only object in my pocket (as always).

And then I saw the scratch today. I have no idea why.... It is with normal use. And my phone became scratched? A phone is suppose to at least withstand normal usage right? :( I'm an apple fan.... But this upsets me a lot.

Sure, anodizing is susceptible to scuffs. Aluminium is malleable. But that doesn't give apple the excuse to dish out such a phone with weak durability right? Those answers are scientific reasons, but not business reasons. :(

Attached Files: