iPhone 5 Screen Clarity

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jmo1116, Apr 18, 2013.

1. jmo1116 macrumors regular

I've always been the one who absolutely had to put a screen protector on my iPhone in fear of scratching it. I've used various types of protectors, even the ones that claim to be extremely clear, but yesterday I decided to remove the protector. I am amazed at how incredible the display is on the iPhone 5. Simply stunning. Ever since I took the screen protector off, I've been asking myself "what was I thinking to hinder such an incredible display??" Just wanted to share how truly exceptional the iPhone 5 screen is; needless to say, will never revert to using a protector again!

2. Davejprince macrumors regular

Once you get a nice scratch you will be like: y DIDNT I PUT SCREN PROTECTOR!

3. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

I have never seen a scratched iPhone screen actually, but quite a few cracked ones. A good case is probably more important than a screen protector.

4. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

I'm the same way. I always had a screen protector and some type of thin case on the phone. After seeing a friend who is decidedly more clumsy than me go without a case and screen protector with no ill effects I decided to do the same. Haven't looked back. Not only do I not have any scratches, the screen looks so much better and feels better to the touch.
    I'm debating whether or not to put a slim case on my iPhone 5 that I'll be getting soon. I figure since it's thinner than the 4S I could still go with something small and not notice a difference in thickness.

5. rockitdog macrumors 68020

I use a case on my Iphone but no screen protector. I have yet to find one that either doesn't dull down the screen or I like the way it feels.

6. jdzialak macrumors regular

Same here. Always had a case and screen protecter on my 2, 3, and 3GS. Case only on my 4S. I couldn't bear to dull that screen. I just got the 5 and am waiting for my case to arrive. I wanna protect the phone, but no way can I put a screen protecter on this thing.

7. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

What about rear protectors? (That sounds bad.) I have a bumper with a front and rear protector on my 5. Seeing a coworker's 5 fully naked (again, sounds bad) along with this thread is making me tempted to take off my protectors. I DO keep the phone in same area (pocket/work bag) as my keys ALL the time, that's my biggest concern.

8. macalec macrumors 6502

I was the same way up to my iPhone 4 with Retina. I realized how beautiful the screen was, and I took it off. When people ask me what the best screen protector is for their phone, I say none because the quality of the screen will be diminished with one on.

9. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

I would keep something on it if you keep in the same pocket with your keys. The glass is fairly durable, but I wouldn't chance it. Your keys will definitely destroy the aluminum though. I always have just my phone in one pocket and my wallet & keys in the other one.

10. mjpearce023 macrumors 6502

The only screen protectors I've found to cause a decrease in screen clarity are the anti glare ones. I've used a spigen ultra crystal screen protector and a bodyguardz pure glass protector on the 5 and neither one has hurt clarity. Just stay away form the anti glare ones and you are good to go. After using a glass screen protector that is the way I will go from now on.

11. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

I never put on any kind of protectors.

Why buy an aluminium and glass phone only to cover it in plastic? :confused:

12. Nolander07 macrumors 6502a

Never use screen protectors. I have tried a few and ended up removing them after about 5 minutes. I have a few scratches on my screen now, as I did on my iPhone 4. It is impossible to see them when the screen is on, however. They can only be seen when the screen is off in bright light.

13. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

I always use cases, but screen protectors are pointless.

14. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

That's happened to me a total of zero times in the last 6 years of owning iPhones without a case or screen protector. I'd imagine most of you put plastic on your couches as well...

15. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Your plastic screen protector will scratch far easier than your gorilla glass screen. ;)

16. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

It's the oleo phobic coating that scratches. Glass is pretty hard. Harder than many metals (including keys), but that darn coating is what scratches so easily.

I've got numerous scratches that are only visible in bright sunlight and cannot be felt. I'm surprised that no one has come up with some sort of oleo phobic coating that we can reapply.

17. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

That might be true for hairline scratches, but if you can feel it with your fingernail, it's actually in the glass.