iPhone 5 Screen for Photographers...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ppdix, Aug 25, 2012.

1. ppdix macrumors 6502a

ppdix

I am a Professional Photographer. I show my work on my iPhone 4S and iPad 3 all the time and I rely on it to impress my customers.

I am concerned about the new screen size on the iPhone 5. If it is really true that the screen is going to be 640x1138 pixels, then photographers are gonna be in trouble...

Right now, the ratio of the photos from my Canon 1D X is 3:2 (Most Pro Cameras have that ratio).
    The iPhone 4S 8MP Camera and most consumer pocket cameras have a Ratio of 4:3.
    Full HD Video (1920x1080) has a Ratio of 16:9 (The same ratio of the future iPhone 5)

What does that mean for photographers or people that want to show photos on an iPhone?
    It means lots of wasted space (huge black borders) and the same actual size displayed photo as a smaller iPhone 4 screen. Of course, double tapping will zoom the image and give you a full screen coverage but with a ratio (16:9) that is not good for either 3:2 or 4:3 photos... To me as a photographer, a really bad thing.

Even if Apple changes their camera ratio to a 3:2, there are still 178 pixels of wasted space on the sides of the photos.
    It will be a great screen for videos but NOT for photos. :(

Look at the attached screen comparison chart to see what I mean.

Attached Files:

2. aliensarecool macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

3. jj47 macrumors regular

I don't mean to be rude but since you're a photographer shouldn't you have a dedicated professional camera that would meet your needs rather than an iPhone/iPad?

4. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

OP..

Shouldn't you get yourself an iPad to show photos on, and not on a silly smartphone ? Perhaps wait for the Mini iPad coming out later this year and show your professional stuff...;)

5. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

Who cares if it has black bars anyway? It's not like its going to have the rainbow like your mock ups do. It will look just like it does now...

6. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I know the ipad is popular among photographers. If you're showing something from your phone, it is unlikely to be more than a quick reference. A phone isn't really the greatest thing for displaying a large array of work. Beyond that it's a mass market device, not something specifically aimed at your market. I would really get over this, and if you don't like it, just keep using your current phone:eek:.

7. Boiler macrumors regular

I would have passed this question on the English ISTEP

Not sure this is a "really bad thing" since it still shows the old photo ratios at the same pixels and physical size as before

And with a thinner screen technology it will probably put you at the same level (at worst)

8. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I think he wants to use it to show the pictures to people, not use the phone to take pictures with.
    Now why do people get all worried and bent out of shape about something that even isn't out yet? I bet if... if the rumors are true, it will still work out anyways, you'll have side bars or something.

9. ppdix thread starter macrumors 6502a

ppdix

You are not rude, you just have no idea what you are talking about.
    I own a $7000 camera but with a 3.2" screen.
    I use the camera to shoot, not to show my photos. I have 2 27"Apple Cinema displays but I can't take them with me. If I meet a potential client, I show my Portfolio on my iPad but since it's too big I take my iPhone with me everywhere and it has been a great tool for me.
    Get informed

10. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Digital devices are moving towards a 16:9 or 16:10 ratio due to video as you hinted at in your post. The iPhone was never meant to display photos for professional photographers in order for them to "impress" their clients.
    I would do as others have suggested:
    1) Stop using an iPhone to show off your photos.
    2) If you insist on using the iPhone 5, then buy a "professional" camera that will let you choose a 16:9 ratio.

11. ppdix thread starter macrumors 6502a

ppdix

Yes, that's the problem. The 4" screen is just taller. The size of the photo will be just as big as the iPhone4. The other Big screen smartphones from Samsung or HTC are bigger all around. So u get a real bigger photo...

----------

I have gotten more work showing my portfolio on my iPhone than ever before
    I do have a professional camera and it doesnt have a 16:9 ratio thats a video camera. I mentioned it on the post. If u don't know what you are talking about, you should inform yourself before you comment on something you clearly have no clue about.

12. BluePhoenixRa macrumors regular

I own a Sony a55, the pictures from there are 16:9 ratio, and if I want to show people some of the pictures I've taken, I usually have to zoom out..thus letter boxing my image.. So a 16:9 ratio screen would show my photos perfectly.

Either way, the phone isn't out yet, but surely Apple has something in mind to counter that..either zooming out..or zooming in even. We'll have to wait and watch. Don't be so worried just yet :)

13. ppdix thread starter macrumors 6502a

ppdix

Yes but the bars will be huge. Basically a bigger screen wont give you a bigger photo.

----------

Your Sony should give you a choice of ratios. I have a small Canon 260 and it have 3 ratio options. The standard 35mm ratio of film for the past 100 years has been 3:2.

14. FelixDerKater, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012

FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

If you have a black iPhone 4S, you already have black bars above and below (or beside) your photos. Expanding those bars a bit shouldn't make a difference being LCD, plastic, or otherwise.

15. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Spending 7k on a camera does not make you a professional photographer. Also, 3:2 is the old standard because of 35mm film. It's importance in the digital world of photography is slowly fading. I suggest you read and inform yourself more since you're the professional that needs to sell and impress clients.

I'm glad the iPhone has gotten you more business- however if a "professional" photographer showed me his "professional" photos on a screen that's smaller than a 4x6 photo, I would laugh at him and take my business elsewhere. I guess I wouldn't be your ideal client though...

16. ppdix thread starter macrumors 6502a

ppdix

Dude, read before you comment. I already have an iPad 3. Too big to carry everywhere. I take my iPhone everywhere. I will definitely get the iPad mini when it comes out but it's still too big to put in your pocket.

----------

Thinner screen technology? U are so confused...

----------

You really have no idea what u are talking about. Full frame is 35mm standard. And it's NOT fading away. On the contrary.
    I suggest you inform yourself. Read the post. This is for photographers. I u don't understand it, then refrain from commenting...
    I have been a pro for 9 years. I Do 40 to 50 shoots a month and make a s**tload of money doing what I love...

----------

No, no bars on iPhone since 2007. Same screen ratio. I show my Professional images which are 3:2.

17. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Dude, you really have no idea what you're talking about.
    http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Frame-Full-HD-Digital-Camera/dp/B007FGYZFI

New full frame digital cameras are offering more aspect ratio options than ever. If you're that stuck on 3:2, then you need to get over using an iPhone 5 for your "professional" viewings. Invest in a webpage to show customers photos offsite or have customers come to your office to show photos on your 27" inch monitors.

18. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Nay. You're missing my point. If you have a black iPhone, you have black plastic bars. I'm talking about the plastic around the screen. With a nice black reproduction on the LCD, the little bit of extra black will go nearly unnoticed.

19. ppdix thread starter macrumors 6502a

ppdix

Look at my website and after your are done drooling, see the quality of my lighting and the technical aspects of my photos. I am not an amateur.
    Www.clicstudio.com

20. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Why are you not just using the website to show off your photos when you're out of office?

21. golf1410 macrumors 6502a

golf1410

I really want Apple to improve the camera len on new iPhone. Not sure why apple stuck at 8 mega pixels.

22. twigman08 macrumors 6502

I may not be a photographer but I don't understand why an iPhone is being used as a professional device for showing photos? The iPad is too big? I see MANY and I mean MANY professional photographers taking their iPad with them. It's not that hard to "lug" around.

My uncle is an independent photographer that also does a lot of shoots and he always has his iPad with him. I just don't understand how a professional photographer can't carry around a 1.46lb New iPad. An iPhone just doesn't seem like the best way for a professional to be showing clients photos. I couldn't even see a Samsung Galaxy Note. Screen size just seems too small for me.

Though I guess this is why I'm not a professional photographer and am a programmer.

23. jj47 macrumors regular

Wow, way to go at being a complete **** when I was only offering my friendly input.

I hope the new iPhone is as rumored so your precious portfolio looks like dirt. Boasting of your camera and your money also fails to impress me.

24. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Wow maybe you could cool that attitude a bit. IF you rely on an iDevice to show your pictures one would think a ten inch iPad would not be too big to put potential money in your pocket. I think some way, some how you will survive carrying that giant iPad around. :rolleyes:

I applaud you sir..... funny stuff!!

25. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

I don't commend you for your attitude and rudeness in this thread but I'm totally stealing this for future reference.