iPhone 5 Screen is superb

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dlanod, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Dlanod macrumors 6502a

I have my new phone now and the first thing I noticed was the amazing screen colours. Much more vivid than my 4S which had a yellow tinge. This new 16GB Black has a beautiful screen - lovely colour balance and vivid but not Android - if you know what I mean!

Awesome. And no scuffs and dents (that I can see!)

2. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

I have about another hour before I can rejoice in this amazing screen you speak of.

3. melb00m macrumors regular

I agree. If you put it right next to the iPhone 4, it's clearly remarkable how much better the colors are.

4. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

And, just as I suspected...

For years, all we've heard from these forums is how "over-saturated" Android phones are when it comes to colors, how they aren't "life-like". Then I heard Apple announce during the iPhone 5 introduction that they'd added 44% more saturation to the screen and I figured posts like this would start popping up.

Now all the fanboys will be talking about how wonderful the saturation is, how life-like and amazing the colors are. :rolleyes:

Hypocrites.

(FYI, if you think I'm an Android troll, check out my signature. I've got the 4S and had the 3GS before that. I've also had the iPad 2 and iPad 3, so I'm not anti-Apple. I just can't stand people that are hypocrites. Oh, and before you say "you're just jealous because you can't upgrade to the iPhone 5 yet", I could easily buy one off-contract right now, but I don't see the point when my 4S does everything the 5 does...minus the extra row of icons).

5. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

After updating my 4s to iOS6 the colours are vivid too.

Others have reported the same.

6. SaltedV8 macrumors member

Dude, please check your spelling. ;)

(I am totally kidding. COngrats on your new toy)

7. sixteen12 macrumors regular

It's not android phones, it's OLED screens that are over saturated. You like it or don't.

8. tigress666 macrumors 68040

You do realize it is quite possible the iPhone could have been"under saturated" before this and the android over saturated? Just cause this iPhone is better at saturation doesn't necessarily mean the androids weren't over saturated. I don't know myself cause never looked, but I'm just pointing out a flaw in your logic there.

9. cperchard macrumors 6502a

why would anyone own more than 2 phones at once? Even 2 is stupid unless 1 is business.

10. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

Wow. So you are saying that each individual that posts about their appreciation of the screen are going to be lumped in with people last year that said android screens are over saturated whether they posted that or not? Someone piss in your Cheerios this morning?

11. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

I don't have enough first hand experience with the Android devices in question to be certain, but I suspect the difference may be how the phones choose to display those colors. Just because you have a better RGB range and more potential for saturation doesn't mean that you have to over-saturate everything to make it look better. The idea here should be better dynamic range. Whether the iPhone 5 offers this over the competition, I couldn't say. I haven't spent enough time with the competition, and I'm waiting on the UPS guy to see an iPhone 5 in person.

12. Joewat64 macrumors regular

No kidding. More color saturation has nothing to do with TRUE color. Maybe you should look that up on one of your many phones.

13. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

this made me LOL

14. TheMagicPirate macrumors newbie

My iPhone 5 screen seems darker/duller than my iPhone 4?

I am hoping it is to do with the glue drying thing and that it will become brighter/more vivid with time.

15. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Same here, my 4S colors are way more vivid on iOS 6.

16. cperchard macrumors 6502a

17. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

That's the Canadian/PROPER way of spelling it...

;)

18. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Fair enough, it's always possible. But, what's more likely? That or the idea that Apple fanboys were always over-exaggerating the saturation of Android phones? I feel comfortable thinking it's the latter.

This is your opinion. You're entitled to it. Just like my post is my opinion. And just like a$$holes, everybody's got one. I'll spend my money the way I want and you just worry about yourself, m'kay? :rolleyes:

BTW, because I own both platforms and like both platforms, that gives me the decided advantage of being able to make a qualified judgement on things (over someone like yourself who presumably owns only an iPhone). Maybe my opinion doesn't line up with your thinking, and that's fine, but don't question my opinion when I've got both sitting right here in front of me.

Did I say "each individual post"? Did I? No, so stop generalizing. The people I'm talking about know who they are (and they'll be the first hypocrites to post how much they love the bolder colors on the iPhone 5). So, if you're one of these, congrats, I was talking to you. If you're not one of them...then stop worrying about it.

Now this is a decent post. But that's the problem in general (not with you...it's just that you sparked this thought). Most iPhone people haven't spent enough time with Android phones and their screens to make a sensible judgement call. Most are just following what others have said and, before you know it, lies become truth. And playing with your brother's or cousin's Galaxy S2 a year ago doesn't qualify as "spending time with". Once you've owned one and used it for a month or two, then come and talk to me (again, this isn't directed at DirtySocks85...just generally speaking).

I also realize this is a personal thing. What looks great to one person may not look great to the next. So keep that in mind when making judgements on screens. In the end, it's only someone's opinion.

19. tigress666 macrumors 68040

And that's cause you are already biased to think the "fanboys" are wrong. I'm not sure you can say which is more likely in this scenario just going by some people say the android is over saturated and then they like the new iphone... there's no real data to say what is more likely in that scenario without more actual info.

20. Dlanod thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's always a preference thing. I have an S3 too and I use it in movie mode because I prefer the muted colours. My 4S is horrible. And I've had two different ones. My wife has a 4 and it's got a lovely screen - cool colours.

The 5 is warmer than the 4 we have, and much cooler and crisper than the 4S.

To me at any rate.

21. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Ah, so I'm biased? Wrong. Again, I have both platforms, I love both platforms, I PREFER the more saturated colors on Android phones. My opinion...see how that works?

And to those of you that don't like what I'm saying, that's fine. But you know I'm right. You know those people are who've bashed Android phones for their saturation and you know they'll now post how much they love the 5's colors (even though it looks like an Android phone now). And those same people will recoil in horror when you call them out on it. But they'll still be hypocrites.

22. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

The display is beautiful, blacks seem a lot deeper and everything seems to pop, but not to a level I would say is over saturated, just the display is capable of more colours.

23. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

+1

Exactly what I think too, it's a fantastic display which improves upon the already impressive iPhone 4 display, it's very noticeable.