iPhone 5 screen - not oleophobic?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by technopimp, Sep 21, 2012.

1. technopimp macrumors 6502a

This is not a fear-mongering/<something>gate thread, just a question-is the screen of the iPhone 5 supposed to be oleophobic? That's one of the features I've really liked since the 3G, but the screen on my 5 does not seem to have it. On the previous models, it was very evident in how virtually nothing would stick or smear on the screen. This one acts like the very first iPhone (after touching it for a minute or two I could already see smudges, and after using it to talk, the schmutz wouldn't just wipe away).

Was wondering if they had cut back/eliminated the coating altogether.

2. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

it is oleophobic - look at specs on apple site

3. dpgfunk macrumors newbie

Just came here to check if anyone else thought the same. My screen doesnt have the oleophobic feel that my previous iphones had. The screen feels much more sticky/tacky than my 4. This is the only thing thats bugging me right now with my iphone 5.

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The coating on mine seems to work well. It does accumulate smudges and fingerprints but a quick wipe against my jeans and it cleans right off.

5. technopimp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good, it's not just me. The screen definitely does feel "stickier" to me as well. I also just found a scratch in it. :(

6. JayR macrumors newbie

7. armyxrays macrumors member

8. dpgfunk macrumors newbie

Damn...guess i should compare with a friend to see if theres any difference. Does your guys' screens have that same smooth feel as the 4/4s? Theres definitely more stickiness / friction on mine.

9. armyxrays macrumors member

Also feels the same as before. I'm 100% satisfied.