iPhone 5 screen oversaturated?

crazyeyes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2005
Easton PA
Does anybody else think the 5 is oversaturated? Or did I get a bad one. I compared a nature video on YouTube on my phone playing directly over top my buddies 4s and the reds and greens at times were oversaturated to the point of clipping the screen.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010
Does anybody else think the 5 is oversaturated? Or did I get a bad one. I compared a nature video on YouTube on my phone playing directly over top my buddies 4s and the reds and greens at times were oversaturated to the point of clipping the screen.
Do you see any clipping in this test image?

crazyeyes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2005
Easton PA
I don't see any clipping no but this was a moving image and the red leaves on the trees were blurring together and clipping the screen, now I will say to me the reds look a bit too saturated according to the multiple calibrations I've done on tvs and monitors for photography in the past

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010
I don't see any clipping no but this was a moving image and the red leaves on the trees were blurring together and clipping the screen, now I will say to me the reds look a bit too saturated according to the multiple calibrations I've done on tvs and monitors for photography in the past
I don't have the 5 but the last gen Macbook Air clipped that image, so good to hear the 5 does not.

crazyeyes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2005
Easton PA
Yeah I mean at the very edge of the green and red the brightest blocks on both top and bottom do seem oversaturated and if they were a moving image would most certainly clip I'm sure

MICHAELSD

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
The iPhone 5 is displaying the video correctly. 4S/4 only had about a 65% SRGB color gamut, iPhone 5 can display over 99% of all the colors in the SRGB gamut, which is the color range practically all of the internet uses.

crazyeyes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2005
Easton PA
So then I should be able to watch that video on a properly calibrated display and it will clip kinda doesn't sound right to me idk why a company would produce a video with such bad saturation.

abnorm

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2008
Yes, I also think so. Compared screens on 5 and 4s. We looked and background images that came with the phone. On 5 they deffinetely look over saturated and color unnatural. Especially visible on wooden tiki wallpaper. I hope it will be fixed with an update.

nhlducks35

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2008
Yes, I also think so. Compared screens on 5 and 4s. We looked and background images that came with the phone. On 5 they deffinetely look over saturated and color unnatural. Especially visible on wooden tiki wallpaper. I hope it will be fixed with an update.
It's natural, what do you not understand? The iPhone 4 and 4S are bit natural.

crazyeyes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2005
Easton PA
Im glad I'm not the only one who noticed it

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
The iPhone 5 isn't the problem, it's the iPhone 4 and 4s. They were only showing 65% of the color gamut as another poster was pointing out, while the iPhone 5 shows 99%. So if your used to the older iPhones or comparing them side by side you will see a lot more color in the iPhone 5, but this is normal and how it should look. If you want to see over saturated, check out any Samsung phone.

DN76

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2012
agreed

I've definitely found the iPhone 5 screen to be over saturated. (that's how I found this thread..). I really wish there were a way to control that.. it's super annoying. The greens look cartoonish.. (look at the green text bubble when texting somone.. it's like Kermit the Frog.. ). Oranges/reds also are way too intense. I wish I could have the 4s screen on the 5 body!