iPhone 5 screen oversaturated?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by crazyeyes, Sep 25, 2012.

1. crazyeyes macrumors regular

Does anybody else think the 5 is oversaturated? Or did I get a bad one. I compared a nature video on YouTube on my phone playing directly over top my buddies 4s and the reds and greens at times were oversaturated to the point of clipping the screen.

2. OSMac macrumors 65816

Do you see any clipping in this test image?

[​IMG]

3. crazyeyes thread starter macrumors regular

I don't see any clipping no but this was a moving image and the red leaves on the trees were blurring together and clipping the screen, now I will say to me the reds look a bit too saturated according to the multiple calibrations I've done on tvs and monitors for photography in the past

4. OSMac macrumors 65816

I don't have the 5 but the last gen Macbook Air clipped that image, so good to hear the 5 does not.

5. crazyeyes thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I mean at the very edge of the green and red the brightest blocks on both top and bottom do seem oversaturated and if they were a moving image would most certainly clip I'm sure

6. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

If it was notable, they would talk about it here most likely. http://www.displaymate.com/Smartphone_ShootOut_2.htm

7. crazyeyes thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I know I saw that article and that's why I'm questioning the quality of my phones screen

8. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

The iPhone 5 is displaying the video correctly. 4S/4 only had about a 65% SRGB color gamut, iPhone 5 can display over 99% of all the colors in the SRGB gamut, which is the color range practically all of the internet uses.

9. crazyeyes thread starter macrumors regular

So then I should be able to watch that video on a properly calibrated display and it will clip kinda doesn't sound right to me idk why a company would produce a video with such bad saturation.

10. crazyeyes thread starter macrumors regular

Btw it was a planet earth video and the colors are definitely being oversaturated in certain color channels

11. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I would blame YouTube's compression before I blame the display itself.

12. abnorm macrumors newbie

Yes, I also think so. Compared screens on 5 and 4s. We looked and background images that came with the phone. On 5 they deffinetely look over saturated and color unnatural. Especially visible on wooden tiki wallpaper. I hope it will be fixed with an update.

13. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

Let it go.

14. nhlducks35 macrumors regular

It's natural, what do you not understand? The iPhone 4 and 4S are bit natural.

15. appleattack macrumors member

You let it go.

16. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

Ummm no, who put you in charge?

17. crazyeyes thread starter macrumors regular

Im glad I'm not the only one who noticed it

18. crazyeyes thread starter macrumors regular

How about I tell you to let all your topics go? A forum is supposed to be a place to discuss stuff if you don't like the topic and don't have anything productive to add just pass it up and don't say anything.

19. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

The iPhone 5 isn't the problem, it's the iPhone 4 and 4s. They were only showing 65% of the color gamut as another poster was pointing out, while the iPhone 5 shows 99%. So if your used to the older iPhones or comparing them side by side you will see a lot more color in the iPhone 5, but this is normal and how it should look. If you want to see over saturated, check out any Samsung phone.

20. DN76 macrumors newbie

agreed

I've definitely found the iPhone 5 screen to be over saturated. (that's how I found this thread..). I really wish there were a way to control that.. it's super annoying. The greens look cartoonish.. (look at the green text bubble when texting somone.. it's like Kermit the Frog.. ). Oranges/reds also are way too intense. I wish I could have the 4s screen on the 5 body!