iPhone 5 - screen scratch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrdm, May 11, 2013.

1. mrdm, May 11, 2013
    Last edited: May 11, 2013

mrdm macrumors regular

Yes, a dreaded 1/4" scratch has appeared on the middle of my screen. It produces a small rainbow effect when viewing a white or light colored background. Bummed out to say the least. The phone is perfect in every other way.

I've done enough research to know there are no reliable home fixes short of replacing the entire screen. Rather than spend the money and go through the hassle of getting a repair I'm trying to move on and enjoy the phone.

Any advice for a fellow forum member with slight OCD tendencies when it come to electronics :)? Or am I doomed to be bugged by this until I replace it someday?

BTW - I should add that I've owned dozens of iPhones, iPads and iPods over the years. I've never had any screen scratches. I suppose it could be down to luck but it does make you wonder if the screen on the iphone 5 is weaker in this regard.

2. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

You'll have to get it replaced, period.

I got mine replaced for WiFi and battery issues, and it was also very scratched (secondhand). Now I keep a screen protector and case on it at all times. The protectors come in packs of 3 for $6 (sometimes cheaper), so I load up on them and replace them periodically. Definitely better than living with a giant scratch or an easily damaged phone.

3. E2EK1EL macrumors 6502

It depends on how deep the scratch is, some are very deep and others are just very light reflective scratches.

You can hide both with a screen protector, once applied the reflective light scratch is impossible to see and the super deep scratches will only be a white line.

4. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I recommend a
    Glas.tr screen cover. It is glass itself, much more scratch resistant, and actually hides scratches (depending on depth of scratch).