IPhone 5 selling out help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Idarrin96, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Idarrin96 macrumors member

Hi I was planning on ordering my iPhone 5 on thursday morning after my check came in from my job I was wondering does anyone know how long it takes for the iphonevto typically sell out online

2. TopToffee macrumors 6502a

it's likely (but not definite) that the initial shipments will have sold out by Thursday morning, based on past experience.

3. khmaikiew macrumors member

You should still get it launch day if you order it Thursday. I believe you can still order it Wednesday once it is announced before you get your paycheck. Apple won't charge your card until the iPhone is shipped.

4. TopToffee macrumors 6502a

That's a good point, he can order it wednesday, before the check goes in. If he waits til Thursday, I think there'll be a high risk of not receiving on launch day.

Most of Apple's recent products have gone to delayed shipment on the first night of pre-orders.

5. Idarrin96 thread starter macrumors member

So if I preorder it using my bank card they won't charge it until it ships

6. TopToffee macrumors 6502a

Correct. Although they might "pre-authorise", which (at least temporarily) makes the funds unavailable. I'm not 100% sure - haven't tried preordering something from Apple without the funds...

7. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

In the past, they've charged the cards initially right after the order was placed, but the charge was in a "pending" status (I'm assuming it was done that way to be sure that the funds were indeed available). It disappeared after a few days and then reappeared once the phone was due to ship. I don't know that that's how it'll go down this time around, but that's how it's happened during at least one of the last couple of launches.

8. blunti macrumors 6502a

I wonder if you need to upgrade the shipping method though. Ground is free from Apple but 2day etc cost more money.

Unless ground shipping will still get you the phone on release day.

9. BiggAW macrumors 68020

If you're concerned about how much money is in your bank account, you shouldn't be ordering a new phone.

10. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

They don't charge as soon as your preorder but they will charge it several days before it shipped. I used my credit card to order a 4S from AT&T last year on preorder day and they show the charge as pending on my transactions until about 3 days before it shipped.

11. kannesss macrumors 6502a

depending on what they release, i would say try to get that asap.

12. nostresshere macrumors 68030

there you go again.

Trying to be a sensible human being.

13. BiggAW macrumors 68020

It's amazing how many people are financially irresponsible these days. No wonder we got into the mess that we did as a country.

14. jrcsh6 macrumors 6502

jrcsh6

I'm thinking they've learned their lesson of not having enough. I'd guess they will have a pretty healthy amount of phones.

15. moosquared macrumors regular

moosquared

Yep. I ordered one with my debit/visa card last time and they charged it at first. Status was pending. After a day or two, the transaction "disappeared" and the fund was back again. When the item shipped, then they charged it to my card.

16. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Chances are that there will be no preordering tomorrow anyway. And more likely this Friday at 12am.

----------

Because someone has to wait to get paid in order to spend a couple hundred dollars doesnt makes them irresponsible. Nor is it the reason the country is a financial mess. Maybe he is very responsible and just paid all of his bill, etc. and his next check is his play money. Overreact much?

It's usually guys like u that judge others because it makes their miserable lives seem better. Get a grip.

17. wongulous macrumors 6502a

Who asked what you think? Ugh, the jaded pompous people crawling out of the woodwork.

OP, if you want to spend you hard earned money on what you want, I think that is great.

18. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

I will be staying awake for the pre-order. I will not miss out on it. I gotta return the GS3.

19. nfl46 macrumors 603

It took the 4S a while to sell out. Every one thought the numbers would suck because they had a lot in stock online. I remember those times. Lol. Then everyone was shocked when Apple sold millions in the first three days. Ha. Take that for that a suppose minor update.

20. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Great statement.

But, I am thinking he is spending MORE than his hard earned money on a phone. A freakin phone.

21. BiggAW macrumors 68020

You shouldn't have a contract if you don't have even a small amount of money on hand. Not having any sort of cushion or emergency fund and then going out and blowing money on a new toy is completely irresponsible. I don't buy a new toy unless I know darn well that I have enough money to afford it, and everything else, including the emergency fund and everything else is covered.