iPhone 5 sells out 20x faster than iPhone 4S.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Technarchy, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

2. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Initial reports were all iPhones were gone within an hour. That's fast.

3. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Until we have numbers to compare to the 4s launch, people will simply assume that there is less stock or that Apple is artificially creating demand. Here's to hoping Apple makes a statement soon to end the mystery.

4. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

Means nothing until we know how many phones that was. Maybe they had 1/5th the supply? Maybe they are holding some to sell in stores next Friday? Or maybe the sold the same number in 1/5th the time... I'm excited for my phone, that's all I know!

5. tekno macrumors 6502a

But maybe they only have a 20th of the stock available on launch day...

Apple are a marketing juggernaut. They know how to get people talking about their products and making sure they 'sell out' is a sure-fire way for that to happen.

6. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

Depends on how many phones were sold, doesn't it?

7. leenak macrumors 68020

Did the 4 and 4S sell to as many countries at release?

We won't really know until actual numbers are seen but who knows. There might be a lot of first time iPhoners like myself.

8. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

There is nothing artificial about the demand for apple products. That's why their stock is $640/share.

9. matttye macrumors 601

I suspect they ARE creating artificial demand. Free advertising. Apple are one of the best companies in the world at actually selling their stuff.

10. PedroDias macrumors member

do you guys think apple will break the 10m barrier on the first weekend?

11. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I'd say by the end of September since there is a second rollout to the other countries on the 28th right?

12. vegastime macrumors regular

Hit $696.97 today.

13. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I see the typical conspiracy theory posts as expected.

Constraining stock to create artificial demand in a competetive environment is stupid. And Apple, as many of you have pointed out, is not stupid. They don't want you frustrated and going over to get the S3, so they will deliver every phone they have ready.

However, the Sharp display shortages may have had an effect on the number of units ready for pre-sale. We'll just have to see what the numbers are when Apple announces them.

14. lilo777 macrumors 603

Not just that. They might have had the same number of phones but the same amount of people, having been disappointed with preorder experiences last year, just all decided not to wait and pre-order in the first one hour.

15. KPOM macrumors G5

That's something Steve Jobs did, but if the new iPad rollout is any indication, Tim Cook does things differently. He's supply chain oriented, and less likely to make minor changes in the end that would mess up the supply.

16. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

What on earth makes you think that Steve did that? No company in their right mind does it. (Except maybe Nintendo)

17. KPOM macrumors G5

When the iPhone was new, creating brief artificial "shortages" helped feed a perception that it was a hot item, giving Apple free publicity. It also helped with the original iPad and iPad 2. However, now Apple doesn't need publicity to sell phones or tablets. That said, companies are more likely to under-produce than overproduce. No company wants to be stuck with millions of devices in a warehouse that haven't sold (just ask HP).

18. aztooh macrumors 6502a

No conspiracy to say this means nothing without knowing the numbers.

I'd assume they had more of the 4S available at launch than they have with the 5. Completely the same shell and screen as the 4, yes? Some new guts, sure, but the manu process was already down.

The 5 is a completely new shell (albeit still similar in overall look, but still completely new) and completely new screen and completely new guts. Not wild to assume they don't have as many units available as they did with the 4S at launch.

19. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

And you know this because??? I'm sorry, but I don't believe it. Yes, they may underproduce expected demand a bit, but I seriously don't see Apple constricting supply to artificially create demand. I call BS.

----------

Not to mention we already had reports of Sharp falling behind in manufacturing.

20. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

1. An entirely new manufacturing process for the touch screen
    2. One of the three vendors (Sharp) was behind in their delivery of screens
    3. Opening up the sales of iPhones on Launch day to more than just the US

I assume all of these have led directly to "iPhone shortage" of 2012. It's a conspiracy I tell ya!

21. Technarchy thread starter macrumors 603

Technarchy

Tim Cook prides himself on operations and logistics managment.

It's unlikely artificial scarcity is at play.

Not to mention the headlines and investor confidence that would come from total units moved would be more beneficial than a shortchanged rollout with limited stock.

In addition to Apple sticking its thumb in the competitions eye and saying "your sales are ****, bow down".

22. lilo777 macrumors 603

"Tim Cook prides himself on operations and logistics managment." This does not mean he is good at it. He also prides himself on "doubling down on secrecy".