iPhone 5 shape leaked out by Case-Mate webpage

Darthdingo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 11, 2010
I know this is from last year, right before the iPhone 4S, but a lot of rumors said Steve Jobs did indeed work mainly on this iPhone5, but they said it wasn't ready to be released in time for 2011 like they first planned, so it got pushed back for the next iPhone release; now.

http://technorati.com/technology/gadgets/article/iphone-5-shape-leaked-out-by/

http://techcrunch.com/2011/09/15/did-case-mate-just-leak-the-iphone-5/

It was said the iPhone5 would be larger, and share a design and shape very close to that of the new iPad. Per these "leaked" pictures, it sure looks like the new iPad design, done in phone form. I bet this is what Apple will be releasing this Fall, and not that lame .05" taller iPhone4/4S design.

andyriot

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2010
I could only pray for something like this other than what the recent renders look like. The two-toned backs are hideous IMO.

MLG

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2012
THAT is it. Rounded, metal iPad-like back, same aspect ratio but larger. My bet is that is the real thing.

Edit: Oh crap, that's old. I'm sad. I'm still hoping that is the real thing, though.

Last edited:

Darthdingo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 11, 2010
Isn't it common, for the iPhone and iPad to share the same design style ? The new iPad was just redesigned this year, I would think the new iPhone follows that design, like these leaked pictures show, Apple will not release a new phone, with the same 2 year old design theme.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
THAT is it. Rounded, metal iPad-like back, same aspect ratio but larger. My bet is that is the real thing.
Please... Please... not this only taller garbage.

I was using the Apple Online Chat the other day... and the last thing I said to the Apple Rep was "By the way, I just wanted to let you know that I REALLY hope the purported new iPhone only being a taller iPhone 4S is fake and I think it is a horrible idea. Thanks, Have a great day."

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
I think this is more likely to be the new iPhone.

I don't think Apple will launch a new iPhone that is almost like the current model. They are not stupid.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO

I don't think Apple will launch a new iPhone that is almost like the current model. They are not stupid.
I do not think they would either... especially one that makes not sense like this one...

First, the iPad is 4:3... Why wouldnt it be 16:9 if they were going to make the iPhone 16:9??? I do not get it. I fear we will get the taller iPhone, but I do not want it. and it makes no sense.

ADDITION: "It makes no sense to me"

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
i think the single back aluminum plate would give it a very refined look, just like the iPad. it will also make it durable - if dropped it would only dent and not fracture off in 2 dozen directions

of course it would be more prone to scratches but i think most consumers have some sort of case on their iPhone

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
i think the single back aluminum plate would give it a very refined look, just like the iPad. it will also make it durable - if dropped it would only dent and not fracture off in 2 dozen directions

of course it would be more prone to scratches but i think most consumers have some sort of case on their iPhone
Anyway, the current model (4/4S) is also sensitive to scratches in it's back. There won't be much of a difference. People are always using covers anyway.

newyorksole

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Oh so I guess renders hold more weight than parts that ACTUALLY physically leaked. Yeah. Makes sense.

Believe allllll the renders and not the physical parts shown in videos....

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Oh please let that be it!! I wonder what size screen that is??
Someone keeps talking about some huge billion dollar deal Apple made with LG for 4.3" screens. So that is my guess. I feel like I remember that last year during the Tapered design rumors. but yea

4wdwrx

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2012
If that is true. The 5 will be on my list. I hope IOS 6 has many things we don't know about.

BuckeyeMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2012
Someone keeps talking about some huge billion dollar deal Apple made with LG for 4.3" screens. So that is my guess. I feel like I remember that last year during the Tapered design rumors. but yea
Dang I didn't know that! I hope that is true. 4.3" screen, yesss

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
The ONLY thing that this confirms is how UNRELIABLE rumors are and how LITTLE all of these "reliable" sources and "Asian Suppliers" are. It's a guessing game AT BEST.

----------

Who keeps talking about this? (links please)

Bushy162

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2011

Yeah, they aren't stupid. Unlike what everyone else on here seems to think.

The iPhone doesn't have a frame at top/bottom. That's why they introduced Siri. To fit into the home button.