iPhone 5 Showing As iPhone 4S in iTunes?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ghsNick, Oct 24, 2012.

1. ghsNick macrumors 68030

ghsNick

When I look at Managing Devices in iTunes it shows my iPhone 5 as a 4S?
    I've deleted it and plugged it back in and since I had an iPhone 4S with the same name it keeps doing this. How do I fix this?

Attached Files:

2. fodawim macrumors newbie

Odd, but mine does the exact same thing.

3. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

While plugged into iTunes, looking at the columns on the left side of the display, right click the dropdown arrow next to the device's name and rename the device whatever you want to call it. While you're plugged in, also look at the picture of the device on the main device page and you'll see that it's an iPhone 5 (count the icon rows.)

4. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68030

ghsNick

Yeah it's an iPhone 5...I don't need to rename it. I see the rows and it's definitely a 5.

But for some reason when I go to Manage Devices in my iTunes Settings it shows my synced devices...and I don't know if it's because my 4S had the same name as my 5 but it shows up as a 4S on the list I showed you.

5. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68030

ghsNick

So you have a 5 (upgraded from a 4S) and when you go into the iTunes Store...go into your account...and look at Devices connected to your account it says 4S too?

But when your phone is connected to iTunes and you go to look at what's on it/sync it under Devices (where you can eject it/back it up) it shows an iPhone 5?

This is really weird.

6. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

You need to rename your iPhone in the iPhone settings itself. I had this when I did a backup from iCloud when I bought the 5

Settings , general , about.

The name at the top.

7. Mattp61 macrumors newbie

I have the same thing but it can't be because of the reason that you said because I didn't have a 4s before, I had a 4 but my 5 still shows up as 4s... iTunes glitch I'm guessing, not having full support for iPhone 5 yet, I'm sure iTunes 11 will fix this

8. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Eureka! :D After ferreting deep down into some iTunes settings which I never view, I now see the settings to which you're referring.

Yes, mine also shows iPhone 4s (which I've never had) but also no longer shows my iPhone 4 (a good thing; it's going to my son.)

Glitch it is. :)