IPhone 5 Sim Card Help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by leahpardo, Sep 8, 2012.

1. leahpardo macrumors newbie

Okay, so providing the prices of the iPhone 5 are same I've decided not to get the 4S and to get the 5..

However, I found a really good Sim Only deal on Tesco for £12.50 a month that I wanted to take out, but this is obviously for a Micro Sim, and it's much rumoured that the iPhone 5 will have a Nano Sim..

So, someone said you can cut a Nano Sim from the Micro sim.. is this right?

I mean I'm assuming Tesco will probably offer the same, but not straight away :/

2. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

You should be able to cut it, but its also thinner, so would need to sand it down or use wet&dry on it to get it thinner.

3. leahpardo thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh.. I don't think I could do that without damaging it .. I suppose you can get someone professional to do it for you?

4. Azzin macrumors 68040

The simple answer is that no one knows, because no one's had their hands on a Nano SIM to try it.

Personally, I'm not sure a cutdown will be possible, due to there being very (very) little fat to trim.

[​IMG]

5. leahpardo thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah right, I see. I suppose I'll have to wait but there must be some cheapish sim only contracts!

6. Radiating macrumors 65816

There are already Sim cutters around that will cut a regular/micro sim into a nano sim.

[​IMG]

You'll have to wait until they are more widely available as they're just rolling out.

The thickness difference between the nano sim and micro sim is 0.09 mm, less than a tenth of a milimiter. All electrical connectors have some tolerances to them, otherwise they wouldn't work. And the toleranceswouldn't show any difference to a tenth of a milimiter. A tenth of a milimiter is less than the thickness of a really thin sheet of paper.

Unless the iPhone uses some sort of ultra thin ultra precise sim reader, you shouldn't have to sand the bottom in addition to cutting it, but if you do it will take only a few passes with 2000 grit.

Hope that helps.

7. leahpardo thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, thank you :)

For now I wont worry too much, I'll wait until the day to know what type of card it has etc but thank you!