iPhone 5 - Siri & General network issues

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ryannazaretian, Sep 23, 2012.

1. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

So I got my iPhone 5 on Friday, and ever since, I've been unable to get Siri to work consistently, and network operations just get stuck (timeout), even on cellular.

Siri: it works sometimes, but since yesterday afternoon, it hasn't worked at all. It recognizes what I say (in text), but it never responds after that. I've turned Siri off, restarted the phone, then turned it back on, and still nothing. Maybe it has to do with the following as well

Network: I know quite a few people have ha problems with WiFi not working, but for me, cellular randomly doesn't work. It's in every application. Safari, if will just sit there spinning, Siri will spin, speediest will just try to find the server. What gives?

Unless someone has a genius idea, I'm about to fully restore the phone from iTunes and hope for the best. My next step is to reset the Network Settings.

----------

Resetting network settings seems to have fixed everything for now. Everything loads up in a pinch, just how it should be.

Siri has only timed out once so far.

2. artifex223 macrumors newbie

Re: iPhone 5 - Siri & General network issues

I'm having the same problems with Siri; recognizing what I am saying, but simply not responding sometimes. It is very frustrating.

I have tried resetting my network settings, but it has not worked.

Are you still having this problem with Siri? Have you found any other solutions?

Thanks.

3. jester0723 macrumors regular

I've been having this issue with Siri intermittently since last night. Just used her to open an app and it worked, but it was pretty slow.

4. dyezak macrumors newbie

I have the same problems as you and this is what I have found:

SIRI is in Apple's control, and this lag/performance thing has been an issue for Apple for over a year now. Go back and look at all the 4s owners having the same complaints.

I don't think SIRI's server farm is up to the task.

Network performance over WIFI seems to have something to do with WPA2 encryption. At home I use WPA2 with no problems for 2 computers, 2 apple TV's, 1 iPad2, 2 iPhone 4's...but my 1 iPhone 5 has major issues. Once I move off of WPA2, speed goes up. Totally unsecured I get full connection speeds (20-30mbps).

It appears the WIFI performance issue is related to WPA2 and therefore should be able to be fixed via an iOS update from Apple. In the mean time move to WEP or MAC passthrough for your security (which is what I'll do tonight).

5. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

When asking for the weather, Siri thinks I'm in New York City, Texas instead of New York City, New York. Useless for that now...